Surprising on one level (maybe)
by NDLAW88 (2021-04-15 14:29:22)

In reply to: Danielle Cosgrove Enters Portal  posted by dillon77

After leaving for her self-described mental health reasons and making such an effort to return, and seemingly being greeted with open arms, I'm surprised that she's subjecting herself to more turmoil.

Why is it turmoil?
by NDMike2001  (2021-04-15 14:44:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It seems like the right decision. Coming back for her senior season she's looking at competing with Nat, Brunelle, Maddy and Maya to get on the floor. I'm proud for her that she did fight to come back. She clearly wants to give it a shot to play somewhere. More power to her. I can't blame her for looking somewhere that doesn't have a Sam and Maddy playing her position. It's too bad for her that she probably won't be getting a degree from ND.

Yup...the Degree Was Something I Thought Of, as well...
by dillon77  (2021-04-15 14:55:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

When she did interviews after signing her LOA, she mentioned that ND was her dream school (and not just for sports). She's got to be so very close to getting that if she's been loading up on summer school classes.

As for the discussion with NDLaw88, I think he raises a valid point of view. However, she also seemed to be very tight with her family and (LI) friends. Maybe she wants to return to that support group?

And while she's at it, she can get an extra year in of playng ball at an institution where she can get some PT. As you noted, it won't happen with Maddy and Sam around.

I certainly wish her all the best.
by NDMike2001  (2021-04-15 15:10:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can imagine that the degree was one thing that really weighed heavily on the decision.

Ditto *
by NDLAW88  (2021-04-15 15:11:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Uprooting everything after 3 years?
by NDLAW88  (2021-04-15 14:54:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Academics. Friendships. Comfort level of being a senior. On top of a pandemic and her mental health issues? Not turmoil from a basketball perspective, sure, but it seems a pretty significant change in a young woman's life who presumably is looking for more, not less, stability. I wish her the best, however things play out for her. Just surprised at this point that she's leaving.

I guess I look(ed) at it the other way.
by NDMike2001  (2021-04-15 15:07:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yes, for a lot of students ND starts to feel more like home. But she left last fall to go to her actual home. She seemed to find peace there - including her passion for basketball. Returning to ND means playing for the coach that she did not commit to and competing against two higher ranked recruits at her position that signed after her.

I would expect her to find a good playing situation closer to home. And/or maybe for a team with familiar teammates.

Now if she goes someplace far from home I'd be very surprised.

Does seem odd but in these times who knows anymore.
by maverick  (2021-04-15 14:43:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

11 or 12 would seem like an ideal roster to guard against injuries of which we seem to be plagued by the last few years & the portal. Anyone else have an opinion of roster size?

Twelve would be my ideal roster size, including a couple
by MPG  (2021-04-15 14:51:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

of players who are there to be developed and provide the depth needed to handle the inevitable injuries. ND's problem right now is that players are abandoning ship too readily.

I think we are not the only team faced with this problem
by maverick  (2021-04-15 17:59:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Teams that seemingly had a bright future are going to have to scramble now. Getting out of hand