I used to post & read on the Boneyard (the general WBB one),
by Domerduck (2021-12-24 15:18:45)
Edited on 2021-12-24 15:38:36

In reply to: Vopel ESPN & Podcast  posted by NYC Fan

but you can't communicate something a UConn lover dislikes or you get skewered. Some take the time to understand where you are coming from but lots of trash talk is permitted. I'll take the smaller Bench crowd anyday. After I listen to the podcast I may share my opinion but I doubt I'll think it tarnishes her legacy as she is who she is. I've defended Kim Mulkey who is clearly a HOF coach (and it took too long) and I don't think any of her antics nor quotes tarnished her legacy. She just "leaned in" and is now wearing purple and probably making more than Geno. I've always said if she was my coach I'd taken her with warts and all, much like why I loved Muffet as the coach for my school.

As for your perspective you see Geno with rose colored glasses. Geno is only gracious because his teams mostly win and when he loses to someone like Vic Schaefer for the frst time ever he can be that way. Muffet has beaten Geno more than any other coach and I have yet to see him give ND its due when he lost. It was always seemed like what his team didn't do. But to be frank I see ND and Muffet with the same glasses you wear with Geno and UConn.

Muffet and Geno have chosen a different way to move on after becoming a HOF coach. Geno is hanging on as long as he can while Muffet started a new career. As someone who has had my own challenges in leadership positions I am not one to criticize Muffet and have been big on defending Niele to give her time to make ND her own program and succeed. I don't think Muffet "left the program in tough shape". Only after Geno leaves and what happens to UConn the following years and we compare how Niele does we will ultimately know who left the program in better or worse shape. Hell Muffet did win a National championship (2018) as well as made the finals (2019) more recently than Geno (2016) so there is that.

Muffet is building her new career off being the outspoken supporter of women coaches and doesn't shy away from controversy so I am not surprised she took this position. She defends ND and her players which we love about her. ESPN (ie ACCN) will appreciate her for both her loyalty and opinions. Hell this is the same network that hired Paul Finebaum and unless you're an SEC/Bama lover, it's hard to like him.

Enjoy your holiday.

Replies: