I don't blame MLS for pay to play
by turtle17 (2018-01-09 10:54:44)

In reply to: The post wcnitz linked to below is a good start  posted by Irishlawyer

I don't think MLS can be blamed for inadequate youth development. The comparison of the mens and womens national teams is flawed in my view by vasty different resources most of the rest of the world places in each of those two areas. And as other countries have started to pay a little more attention to the women's game, we haven't been so dominant (e.g. flameout at the 2016 Olympics).

And I think the help the MLS has given other CONCACAF teams by providing a place for their players to play professionally played way more of a role in the US not qualifying than any supposed failure of the DA system. I never quite understood how the DA was supposed to be worse than what preceded it.

None of this argues against a much cleaner separation of the National Teams from MLS, as their interests aren't always aligned. But the idea the DA ruined youth boys development but the girls are just fine because they haven't had DA never made any sense to me.

That's fine
by Irishlawyer  (2018-01-09 13:00:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The initial inquiry was about why MLS having so many votes is detrimental to US Soccer. I'm pretty sure most folks would agree that MLS does not have the best interests of soccer out ahead of its own interests and MLS's interests don't align well with international US Soccer or youth development.

MLS may not be to solely blame for pay to play but it certainly benefits massively from it.

MLS and USSF need to fix their business model
by fontoknow  (2018-01-09 11:06:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

so that player development costs for the players are minimal.

MLS has to get on board with international transfer fee rules.

legal issues, esp. for U-18?
by turtle17  (2018-01-09 11:16:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree 100%, but the usual response is the payback to the youth clubs that developed players is illegal in the US, especially related to minors. I think that's a critical piece of how other systems work.

It has nothing to do with U-18 players
by fontoknow  (2018-01-09 11:46:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

MLS refuses to pay solidarity fees to youth programs.

US Soccer claims it can't force MLS to pay the FIFA solidarity fee due to anti-trust concerns.

Of course MLS and USSF have all sorts of conflicts of interest on this and other issues.

Aren't solidarity fees for developing U-18 players?
by turtle17  (2018-01-09 11:52:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Are you saying USSF should force MLS to pay solidarity fees to youth programs, and that the legal issues aren't real? I also have read issues about labor laws and requiring solidarity payments.

I agree what is good for developing future USMNT players is not necessarily what's good for MLS so USSF and MLS should be much more cleanly separated than they are now. I just haven't seen an actual solution for pay to play regardless of MLS.

Yes, USSF should force MLS to pay the fee
by fontoknow  (2018-01-09 12:10:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

USSF is the governing body in the United States and is the US's representative federation in FIFA. It has a responsibility to enforce FIFA transfer rules.

I see nothing inherently illegal with solidarity fees.