GK is going to be Klopp's downfall.
by IrishCavan (2018-01-14 12:03:12)

He needs to take a cue from Pep here.

This season is already over
by mitquinn  (2018-01-14 12:34:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Klopp will do the GK business in time for next year.

They will challenge for the title if they can get it sorted and have a plan when teams park the bus.

Cech won't be a Gooner forever,
by Wooderson  (2018-01-17 13:23:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

liable to be some fireworks in that GK signings.

No Ospina is not that good.

He shouldn't be one now *
by mitquinn  (2018-01-17 18:46:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Well, they can make noise in UCL.
by NDMike2001  (2018-01-15 11:55:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Therein lies the problem. They are on the verge of competing with the big boys again. A UCL caliber keeper would most certainly have to wait until the summer. Most would be cup tied anyway.

A guy like Jack Butland would surely help solidify a top 4. But would be a big risk to throw in UCL at this point (but hey, what do they have to lose).

Ultimately, you are right that the dreaded "wait until the summer" is probably the best option.

Lots of great German keepers out there for decent prices
by wcnitz  (2018-01-15 18:15:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They make 'em really reliable in Germany. And efficient. Because, you know, Germans.

Like Karius? *
by NDMike2001  (2018-01-15 20:19:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would be at the bottom of my top 10
by wcnitz  (2018-01-16 07:05:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

1. Neuer
2. Ter Stegen
3. Leno
4. Trapp
5. Fahrmann
6. Adler
7. Ulreich (yeah, Neuer's backup)
8. Zieler

He was a hot prospect two years ago.
by NDMike2001  (2018-01-16 13:37:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Probably would have slotted 5th on your list.

The problem with trying to pluck in guys from Germany is that EPL is very different. It's really hard to predict how commanding a player will be in the box. Karius has looked deer in the headlights since he arrived.

That being said, Trapp would be worth a flyer. Although I suspect he might not be a significant upgrade. I'm all in on Oblak. Liverpool have a strong nucleus of young players. They can afford to overpay to solidify the back (VVD and Oblak).

Oblak would be great
by wcnitz  (2018-01-16 13:56:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My big issue with Trapp is his occasional boneheaded mistake. I think Leno is more reliable.

Pickford went for 25 million to Everton.
by Skip Encarnacion  (2018-01-15 15:40:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Considering his age and that he seems competent in all facets of the position, that's great value. He's going to be starting for England in Russia.

Probably wouldn't have been too expansive to pry him away from Everton. This time next year he could very well double his transfer price.

Hell of a match so far
by wcnitz  (2018-01-14 12:21:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That body tackle and finish by Firmino.

And Mane just finished them off. Hell of a performance.

Only LFC can make 4-1 close.
by IrishCavan  (2018-01-14 12:57:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Shambolic defending at the end to allow those 2 goals.

True. But piss-poor defending was also responsible for the
by tex29  (2018-01-14 13:55:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

big lead.

Nah it's Pep arrogance...
by iudomer  (2018-01-14 15:06:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Playing that insane high line against a fantastic counter attacking team.

Did the same shit at Bayern with a better back line and keeper.

I really don’t think so. Klopp does seem to have his number,
by tex29  (2018-01-19 07:53:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but I don’t think Pep’s philosophy is arrogant. And I certainly don’t think City’s poor defense that day was due to his philosophy (which routinely results in conceding among the fewest goals in the league). Ederson had a ridiculous gaffe, and City lost its collective mind for a few minutes. When combined with the quality of LFC’s attackers, that’s a recipe for disaster.

In any event, if you’re genuinely interested in understanding Guardiola and his philosophy, I highly recommend reading Marti Perarnau’s books about him: they were enlightening (at least for me).

I'm not so sure.
by NDMike2001  (2018-01-15 11:48:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's how he plays. They had not lost a game this season. Does that suit Liverpool's style? Sure. But they also had to prove to City that they could do something no other team has done yet this season. When you are a Champion (or want to be), then I think you should act like a big club. Nobody (not even United fans) want to see their club come into Anfield and play for a point.

Arsenal doing it is an entirely different story. They need results, and Wenger can't seem to change despite the alarming evidence that suggests that he needs to.

Pep will always go for it...
by iudomer  (2018-01-15 13:35:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and not hold back. Looking at his time at Bayern, matches against Barca/Madrid where even Barca sat back to counter, he should have played it more conservative.

Klopp is 6-5-1 against Pep, best record for a manager against Pep. His Gegenpressing works against Pep. City should be wary of this for Champions League against future opponents.

Arguably, Pep would have had better results at Bayern
by wcnitz  (2018-01-15 18:19:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had the injury situation not been so screwed up, particularly in his next to last season. And Thomas missing that kick against Atletico...ow.

Pep has always been willing to adapt, but one of the things he never strays from is controlling possession and creating quality chances. He's not going to complain about a goal off a counter but it just doesn't seem to be his priority.

On a related note, I have been very happy to see how Jupp has made adjustments from match to match and from half to half. Varying the lineups, changing the style a bit from game to game depending on the opponent. Nice to see, as opposed to what Carlo was doing (I have no idea what he was doing).