Kill VAR right now.
by skip encarnacion (2018-02-28 18:44:35)

It doesn't belong in this game. Period.

I've said this many times
by wcnitz  (2018-03-01 08:57:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

For the most part it is working well in Germany. It's quick and from what I've seen, the decisions have been correct.

England seems to have implemented it extremely half assed. The process should be direct and straight forward. It should never take more than 30-40 seconds - if it does, then whatever decision you're trying to make likely won't be improved by continually watching it in slow motion. Keep the original decision and move on.

Make an official signal and allow the in-stadium announcer to indicate that a play is being reviewed. Put a timer on it if necessary. This isn't rocket science.

England probably follows the video-review practices
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-03-01 12:23:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

used at 345 Park Ave, New York City.

I have gotten the same impression *
by wcnitz  (2018-03-01 12:48:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Soccer needs corruption.
by NDMike2001  (2018-02-28 22:10:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's just not the same without it.

Would VAR have prevented this atrocity?
by G.K.Chesterton  (2018-02-28 20:41:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sure. But most soccer fans wouldn't call that an atrocity. *
by skip encarnacion  (2018-02-28 21:55:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I would
by wcnitz  (2018-03-01 08:59:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It violates the spirit of the game. People love talking about Maradona's goal, but it should have never been. It wasn't the hand of god, it was a free kick and a caution to Maradona.

I think VAR violates the spirit of the game far more
by skip encarnacion  (2018-03-01 12:07:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

than a missed call.

It slows the game down. I just hate it.

Implemented that way, I don't disagree
by wcnitz  (2018-03-01 12:49:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But England's implementation has been piss poor.

It could be done in a way to reduce the time impact.
by NDBass  (2018-03-01 12:10:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It isn't being done that way in England so far, but that doesn't mean it can't be. If they can get it to the timeframe wcnitz mentioned and get the calls correct, I think it would be worth it.

I happen to think missed calls are part of the game.
by skip encarnacion  (2018-03-01 15:20:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And my teams have been screwed by them, too.

But I don't understand how VAR is going to enhance my enjoyment of the game. The principle of justice doesn't factor in. Most of the time the refs get it right and that will always be good enough for me.

I can see and have seen many ways in which VAR gets in the way of my enjoyment. For one, tampering with the spectacle and euhporia of the goal seems ludicrous.

I don't necessarily disagree with you.
by NDBass  (2018-03-02 10:43:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Take the below discussion about Morata's disallowed goal against Man United. That was a close call and I can see how the AR ruled him offsides. It sucked for Chelsea, but that's part of the game.

What bothers me are the egregious calls. Whether it is faster players, different playing tactics, or worse referees, it seems there are more egregious calls that drastically impact the outcome of the game*. Those take away my enjoyment and for me call into question the integrity of the game.

If those situations can be rectified by VAR, I think it is a good thing. That being said, it needs to be done quickly and with as little disruption to the match as possible. If a change can't be determined quickly, then it's too close and the call should stand.

* I wouldn't be discussing in good faith if I didn't mention that it is possible that the same amount of egregious calls are being made, but more televised matches, more camera angles in those televised matches, and better technology to freeze/zoom on a frame have made them easier to report than in the past.