Americans only understand winning
by plaid_pants (2018-03-08 19:18:19)

In reply to: 95% of soccer is uneventful and boring  posted by DakotaDomer

Americans can't understand the Tour de France because the race leader lets other riders win 17 out of 20 stages.

Americans can't understand the away goals rule because there is nothing like it in our culture.

Americans can't understand why Trinidad and Tobago would declare a national holiday to watch their team play in the World Cup, lose 2-0 and keep on celebrating.

I think eventually, 45 minutes without commercials will eventually win over the last American hold outs. Eventually, the appeal of a knock-out tournament running simultaneously with the regular season will win over fans of the mid-table teams. Eventually, seeing your favorite player get called up for national team duty in the middle of the season, something unique to soccer, will win people over. And the singing. Even when your team is bad, there can still be singing.

My favorite parts are watching games at 8AM and being able to talk to people about the game no matter what country I find myself in.

These are charms that continue to be unique to soccer for now. I think it would be cool if some of these aspects rubbed off onto football and baseball.

Replies: