We don't call it "football" here.
by someguy (2018-04-10 12:31:19)

In reply to: What's wrong with FC's? Or Sporting KC?  posted by spade

In America, it's soccer. Good for Columbus and Chicago for properly naming themselves a "soccer club". The rest are lame and contrived, ignorantly attempting to poach of off others' tradition without respect for how the names came to be. Real Madrid and Real Sociedad were both sponsored by Spanish royalty - hence "Real". Real Salt Lake? Pathetic. I'm sure MLS team names - the inconsistent smattering of FC, Sporting, Real, etc - is an international joke. I couldn't care less if they have mascots or not, but create your own damn traditions instead of co-opting those of more successful leagues and clubs.

I have no problem with calling it football clubs
by spade  (2018-04-10 15:26:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You could argue naming mascots was just as contrived back in the 1920s

I don't think the rest of the world really cares
by wcnitz  (2018-04-10 13:00:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think we get mocked for plastic chants and our broadcasting far more than for club names.

The fake chants are the same problem as the fake names. *
by someguy  (2018-04-10 13:28:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What makes a chant a fake chant? *
by NDBass  (2018-04-10 13:57:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post