Once the injured player is on the side line and there's no
by 3rdSt (2018-06-16 12:55:36)

In reply to: Isn't it soccer etiquette when a player from an opposing  posted by atlantasubalum

substitute clearly ready to come in, teams generally play on while the injured player is evaluated.

Correct
by wcnitz  (2018-06-16 12:59:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

General etiquette is to kick it out when there's a clearly serious injury if the referee doesn't stop play on their own (they should).

But there's so much embellishment/faking serious injury now that you see it less and less.

A thing I hate: refs don't make players sit out long enough
by NDBass  (2018-06-16 14:22:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm seeing more and more players need attention and remain on the ground for multiple minutes (and not something caused by a challenge). Yet, they get waved back on 5 seconds after play is restarted. I think that is BS. It's one thing if it's the result of a bad challenge, but I've seen it just from cramps.

Not in the laws
by wcnitz  (2018-06-16 14:31:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We pull them right back on when play restarts.

The only requirement is that they leave the field (if play was stopped for them, unless they are a keeper).

Why is it not consistent?
by NDBass  (2018-06-16 14:40:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've seen players waved right back on and I've seen refs make them wait. If it isn't in the laws, I don't see what the 4th official doesn't just send them back on when ready.

It’s also situational.
by tex29  (2018-06-16 14:09:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The point is to allow someone who needs it to receive medical attention, not to allow a substitute. And it depends on the match situation. If it’s late in the game and one team is on attack, they needn’t feel obligated to stop for an injury that is likely not serious and is probably just an attempt by an opposing player to break up the flow of the attack.

That too
by wcnitz  (2018-06-16 14:32:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Honestly, too much is made out of kicking it out vs. continuing play. The referee can stop play at any time if it's serious.

Yep. *
by NDBass  (2018-06-16 14:19:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post