While I agree that Pep's Barca
by KnightlyRevue (2019-05-02 10:09:55)

In reply to: I'm not impressed by Barca, but Messi - holy hell!  posted by irish2003

would handle this flavor of the team I have been impressed with Barca this season. I think you underestimate Suarez and what he has done this year. He is second in La Liga in goals and he absolutely destroyed our beloved Madrid in the first match. I would still put Suarez in the top 3 #9s in the world and he is a perfect compliment to his best friend Messi.

Coutinho is a mystery to me. He has obviously had a bad year and was surpassed by Dembele in every way. I do not see him at the Camp Nou much longer though I do like him as a player.

I do not share your wishes my friend. I will always pick a Spanish side over EPL. I hope Tottenham gets boat raced by Ajax and I hope Barca adds another 5 goals to embarrass Liverpool out of the tournament in front of their fans. Barca needs to be careful though...they have a history of under performing in 2nd legs of Champions recently and Liverpool is capable of scoring in bunches.

Yep, perhaps I'm spoiled, but this season has me sad
by irish2003  (2019-05-05 20:58:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Finally made it to the Bernabeu last year, and while it was an off week, it was an amazing experience & actually become a dues-paying socio in person there! Adjusting for the relative historical ceilings and CR7 as a Rushmore vs. 2 very good college players, this year somewhat reminded me of ND basketball - can't replace Ronaldo nor Bonzie/Farrell, but definitely didn't see this level of collapse either. Sounds like Hazard & Jovic are on the way; I have a soft spot for Ha-mez if he can fit in under Zidane; and I do think we make a run at Mbappe down the road as he's given PSG a fair shot by now.

W/r/t the CL, it's a bit of a case by case thing for me - would gladly pull for Villareal, Valencia, Bilbao, etc over Man City, Chelski, Munchen, etc but am torn on the Barca/Atleti duo, and Ajax has been a joy to watch. As you alluded (completely agree on Suarez pairing perfectly with Messi; just don't trust his consistency long-term), I think those two will run roughshod over Daley and the youth, but hopefully it's a fun final to watch, and at least the terceradecima gave us a little more breathing room at the top.