Liverpool escapes *
by dwjm3 (2019-05-04 16:32:07)

This user did not provide content for this post

Why didn't Alexander-Arnold get a red card?
by spade  (2019-05-05 00:15:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I haven't understood this for a while in similar circumstances. For those that didn't see:
On the first Newcastle goal Alexander-Arnold handles the ball with his elbow off the line to prevent a goal, and the ball falls to a Newcastle player who immediately scores. Sure, that may not have been deliberate, but clearly would have been a penalty had the advantage not been played and scored a goal.

My question is, why are red cards not awarded just because a goal is score, as it's a foul worthy of a red card, a handball on the line? And if a studs up, violent tackle happened in the box (a la Foyth, ouch that hurts to remember that) and still a goal was scored on advantage, I would think a red card should still be handed out, right? But maybe not?

So why would an egregious handball also worth of a red card not result in a foul? Or at least a yellow? It's cheating isn't it? I haven't understood this for a while, so I welcome those with more experience to explain it.

Still, for the sake of this Liverpool-Man City title race, I guess I'm glad Liverpool manged to pull this out.

The sending off is for denying the opportunity
by wcnitz  (2019-05-05 07:50:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not for the “foul” itself. Committing serious foul play as a player scores is still a sending off, because the foul endangered the safety of the opponent. The handling here didn’t deny the opportunity since the goal came immediately after. The official did well to eat the whistle and let the play finish.

The real question is whether or not he should have seen a caution for it.

Thanks *
by Spade  (2019-05-05 11:03:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think the issue is the reason for red.
by NDMike2001  (2019-05-05 07:04:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The red is for denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity. If that’s the case you can’t play advantage. It’s immediate red and penalty. Does Newcastle want the PK and the card? I don’t know. You don’t give “double jeopardy” if you will. So they can’t get both. I’ve always wondered by NFL teams don’t “take points off the board” on a FG with a flag thrown. Teams take the points.

I do think there could (or should be) leeway to retroactively apply the yellow. But again, if it’s deliberate the way the DOGO rule works now you’d have to stop the play or otherwise argue that it was a deliberate handball that wasn’t DOGO.

That’s my take anyway.

Hopes are dim.
by NDBass  (2019-05-04 18:57:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Likely no Salah or Firmino for Tuesday. Both may be out for next Sunday. Need Brendan Rodgers to get a result on Monday. His ego will likely have him lose on purpose to spite Liverpool/Klopp.

Still a very fun, very entertaining season. Lots to look forward to next season.