I don't know what they're trying to achieve
by wcnitz (2019-06-10 10:15:07)

In reply to: Cancel the US men’s team  posted by miamioh_irishfan

Are Jozy, Bradley and others going to be of use in the build up to and, potentially, in Qatar? No? Why are they there? The 'experience' nonsense just doesn't apply now, there are plenty of others with caps now.

I just don't understand what the goal is. Sink or swim with the younger generation coming up. This whole roster feels like playing it safe, and compound that with a system that really isn't fully tailored to the players available, and you have...meh. A lot of meh.

Agree and disagree
by Irish01  (2019-06-10 12:58:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Need to give the youngsters the opportunity, but lack of competition and gifting spots on the roster yield equally poor results long term. Give them every advantage without giving them a free pass.

Ideally the younger generation pushes the older aside. Otherwise you risk a culture that is not conductive to growth and mirrors what we’ve seen for the past 5-7 years.

Altidore and Bradley are likely to make the 2022 squad.
by baloo88  (2019-06-10 10:46:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One hopes that the likes of Sargent, McKennie, and Adams can squeeze them out of starting roles. In fact, McKennie and Adams should be automatic selections at the #8 and #6 already. Still, Altidore and Bradley still are among the top 10-15 players in the pool. In any case, I think it’s helpful to have guys with their experience around.

If they are on the 2022 squad
by wcnitz  (2019-06-11 08:50:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I won't be watching.

They're there because
by alleghenyirish  (2019-06-10 10:34:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Our other choices are apparently Will Trapp and Gyasi Zardes who are worse.