More stupidity *
by wcnitz (2019-06-13 16:41:49)

In reply to: What, pray tell, is the CONCACAF Nations League? (link)  posted by G.K.Chesterton

This user did not provide content for this post

If it gets me more quality international soccer on TV
by someguy  (2019-06-17 07:26:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I'm all for it.

It won't. *
by NDBass  (2019-06-17 11:00:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Meant for this reply to go below.
by someguy  (2019-06-18 09:19:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I agree that it won't improve CONCACAF because CONCACAF is garbage.

What do you and others think of the new Euro League
by SixShutouts66  (2019-06-14 14:02:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I hadn't heard of the CONCAAF league, but it seems patterned after the league they started in Europe that reduced the number of friendlies in favor of games more like WC qualifiers. It doesn't seem appetizing here with three larger countries playing a bunch of minnows. The only benefit would be forcing our lads to play more in hostile environments.

Would a league that encompassed North and South America make any more sense?

Euro Nations League has been smashing!
by spade  (2019-06-15 19:15:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

To speak about Nations League in Europe, I found the games to be amazing. Even if I don't watch them, I find eagerly googled the results to see how different teams are fairing and progressing. It reduces the amount of silly friendlies and increases importance of the games. I find it to be a smashing success and am happy it was formulated even if it's just for revenue boost. Putting exciting fans in the seats allows for true soccer environments when Germany plays England for something on the line.

But if CONCACAF tries to replicate that then it will be very different with regard to number and quality of teams. In North America, there are 2 big teams (depending if you count CR or USA as that other team) and then the talent drops off precipitously with another 6-8 OK teams and another dozen truly awful, awful teams (like Gibralter or Malta levels)

That doesn't allow for a "league" the way it is in the Nations League in Europe. Perhaps having a full American League would be fun, because it would allow the good year teams of USA or Peru to promote and the boring years to move back down, but I don't ever see US Soccer agreeing to play possibly second fiddle for a relagation-style league. Which is pathetic cause we are terrible and the last Hexagonal showed we aren't even top 4.

It’s just a money making scheme
by wcnitz  (2019-06-15 15:00:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A “real” competition generates more revenue than friendlies.

And helps in the FIFA rankings for seeding at WC. *
by dfw  (2019-06-15 15:49:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That's how they force legitimacy on it *
by wcnitz  (2019-06-16 08:41:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post