Not without heavy restructuring
by wcnitz (2019-08-20 13:58:38)

In reply to: When MLS gets to 36 teams, can we do real P&R? *  posted by fontoknow

It's basically impossible with the league's current franchise/ownership configuration.

What if TV money is shared equally?
by plaid_pants  (2019-08-20 18:57:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Then the only difference is game day revenue. A good portion of the added teams were getting 8k fans when they were in a lower division. Some current MLS teams would still get 20k fans turn up if relegated.

Relegation can actually be fun. After a year of poor results, you can often become a team that wins regularly again. If you still lose regularly after relegation, perhaps the ownership needs to change its philosophy.

I like this idea
by HTownND  (2019-08-21 11:51:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Some sort of guarantee for the owners so the move down doesn't crush them, but there needs to be some sort of incentive to fight against relegation.

I can totally imagine, cough Fire ownership, tanking, being fine with going down a division, still cashing MLS checks, and not turning around and investing said money in the team, because of the buffer. This is what happens when the team is an investment and not a passion project.

Doesn't the PL do a scaled drop off?
by wcnitz  (2019-08-21 12:23:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

After you drop down, you still get the PL bump but it's lower, then it's lowered again the following 2 years while you're still out.

I know, I wish it weren't the case *
by fontoknow  (2019-08-20 15:21:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post