That early mistake by Modric was painful to see
by wcnitz (2019-10-02 22:08:07)

In reply to: We have lost our edge  posted by KnightlyRevue

He reminds me of Basti after the 2014 WC. Put everything into it, left some blood on the field and was never the same after.

Exactly right.
by KnightlyRevue  (2019-10-03 15:13:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was gutting and it is not his first big mistake. The tank is empty.

I know Ramos is hated around here with reason but I fear his era is now ending and Madrid has no plan as to who will serve as the anchor of the defense. Varane is excellent but he is not a lead. Players with Ramos' drive and skill do not grow on trees.

Curtois is a bust. He does not have the temperament to play at the Santiago Bernabeu as he lacks the courage. Getting rid of Keylor is a perplexing mess of a decision.

It may be a long road back but I have faith in Madrid. They always rebound.

Long road back? They always rebound?
by wiNDycityfan  (2019-10-03 16:12:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Give me a break. They'll pour millions into the next gen of galacticos and reload the squad. That's the model.

They'll add the likes of Pogba, Mbappe, Kane, Neymar, Eriksen, van de Beek, Fernandes, Cavani, and whoever the best goalkeeper they can lure into the Bernabeu.

There was only one Cristiano Ronaldo, and there are no more once-in-a-generation players left for Florentino to go after.

Fuck Madrid. I hope they rot and bankrupt and don't get anywhere near close the run they had.

I think you are wrong.
by KnightlyRevue  (2019-10-03 17:30:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and I said they are Madrid but its not instant any more. The market is vastly different than before when we got Ronaldo, and while Madrid has unbelievable resources, FFP makes it difficult. They won't get Pogba and Mbappe in the same year. Zero chance. Their midfield is really old, and still good, but not "show up and win" anymore. That won't be fixed by Paul Pogba.

Neymar? Talk about a financial sinkhole. Fuck the transfer fee. The guy makes 37M+ Madrid has never operated at that level and Bale's 23M+ is constantly discussed.

Cavani? Hahaha...fuck Cavani. He's old. If that is the solution I will stick with Benz and Jovic. Hazard/Vinicius.

Look, you can hate Madrid. Its not uncommon. So... fuck whatever team you like too especially if its from the EPL. Madrid has had droughts before and in my time as a fan. I feel this will be another. You don't. Neat. Sorry its not as long as whatever shithole team you like. Hope its not just the USA national team.

Do they develop young players at the same rate
by miamioh_irishfan  (2019-10-04 10:12:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

As the elite clubs around Europe (Barcelona)?

That seems to be the way these days. Develop young guys and supplement with big transfers. I think you’re right in the idea they’ll just go buy a whole new core of the team is wishful thinking.

They do and have a nice stockpile of good young talent
by KnightlyRevue  (2019-10-07 09:50:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The problem is that it is young talent and Madrid fans have the patience that Trump has with reading intelligence briefs.

So in the Madrid/Loan system right now I would say the following have a good chance to play at a high level. Whether they do that with Madrid is another question.

Vinicius (all the talent...needs seasoning), Rodrygo Goes (only 18 but shows flashes), Ashraf Hakimi (what a year he is having at Dortmund), Sergio Reguilon (Sevilla's offense runs through him as a LB), Brahim Diaz, Martin Odegaard (tremendous year at Real Sociedad so far), Dani Ceballos (so-so for Arsenal), Jesus Vallejo (Has to stay healthy), Fede Valverde (he is going to be a special midfielder and will replace Modric or Kroos).