The current 22 point lead is a record.
by NDBass (2020-02-02 19:24:25)

In reply to: What’s the biggest 1st vs 2nd point spread?  posted by DakotaDomer

I assume the record was either 20 or 21 because I didn't see any mention of a record when they had the 19 point lead. I haven't seen anything about the record for the spread between 1st and 2nd at the end of the season.

I believe it’s a record as it stands
by wcnitz  (2020-02-02 21:22:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

At least since they instituted the three point win/1 point draw system.

Yes. Biggest gap at the end of a day.
by NDBass  (2020-02-02 22:13:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

From an OptaJoe tweet yesterday, with the gap not changing today:

"22 - Liverpool will end today 22 points clear of second-placed Manchester City in the Premier League table; this is the biggest lead any league-leader has ever had at the end of a day in English top-flight history. Gap."

I don't like that way of measuring because teams play on different days. I'd rather it be the end of a game week, but whatever. Games in hand can make that weird as well.

From This is Anfield:

"The only other team to have 20 or more point lead since 1888 was Manchester City (over Manchester United) in May 2018 and it lasted 24 hours and stayed at 19 points for what little remained of the season."

There's a love for live tables in soccer...
by wcnitz  (2020-02-03 07:58:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

What's funny about it is they so rarely mention games in hand, which is just as important as positioning at the END of matchday.

The live tables are unequal anyways
by DakotaDomer  (2020-02-03 09:30:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The full season is (in theory) as equal as it can possibly be. But that equality doesn’t exist after any of the previous 37 match days. So the table is relatively meaningless no matter what.

None of that applies to here...Liverpool will undoubtedly shatter the point difference record.