Interesting language choice(s)
by TerramarIrish (2020-05-17 13:43:02)
Edited on 2020-05-17 13:43:25

There seems to be a lot of English being spoken on the field in this Bayern - Union Berlin game.

For example, Neuer just yelled "no foul" to Pavard (French).

I guess I'd always figured German would be the default language. And actually, I thought I'd heard something about Bayern (or maybe the Bundesliga) requiring players to speak German on the field. Am I imagining that?

Announcers spoke about this in the Frankfurt match
by spade  (2020-05-18 12:10:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They had a former Bundesliga player announcing and he said they often use English as it is the most understood when they want to talk to the entire squad, especially if the squad had many foreign players.

But the Germans when they feel like being lazy will revert back to speaking German amongst themselves. I imagine there would not be a rule to speak German since many players would have zero clue what is being said.

Acc to Phonzie
by wcnitz  (2020-05-17 14:01:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bayern speaks mostly English in the locker room.

Germany/Bundesliga is also atypical in that on the field during matches, you’ll hear German, English, Turkish and sometimes French.