MLS could have used you in Seattle last night
by lenny97 (2020-10-04 20:55:56)

In reply to: I refereed two MLS Next matches today  posted by wcnitz

or working VAR.

Was that one originally called 'no foul'? *
by wcnitz  (2020-10-04 21:36:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It was originally called a penalty and red card.
by NDBass  (2020-10-04 21:53:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In other fun MLS news, DC United subbed in a player at halftime that wasn't on the team sheet. Took about 10 minutes to get sorted out. It was high comedy. Article linked.

Just watched it
by wcnitz  (2020-10-05 07:30:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So...I'm not sure what the interpretation was here, because Cavallini clearly went into the back with the shoulder/arm. Even if you think the foot contact that came after was a foul (I don't think it was), the attacker still committed a foul first.

This one reeks of a referee who tweaked a decision instead of correcting it, because he was so over-the-top wrong with the initial one.

Agreed. I think Seattle didn't protest more because ...
by Rocksteady74  (2020-10-05 19:05:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... being up 3-0 at the time, it didn't really matter so long as the red card was rescinded.

Agreed
by wcnitz  (2020-10-05 20:24:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Also, if you watch the replay, his positioning was awful when the incident occurred.

That's close to the top of MLS VAR shenanigans.
by NDBass  (2020-10-04 21:09:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And that's saying a lot. How they didn't judge that to be a foul on Cavallini is beyond me. He went through his back. No way was that a legal, shoulder-to-shoulder challenge.