Gunner fans
by HTownND (2020-10-23 10:33:49)

How much is there to the Ozil is being punished for speaking up for the Uighurs and pissing off the Chinese, who Arsenal view as a critical market (see Morey and the NBA as a similar example).

If it's not true, cool, but I'm amazed at how much people are willing to just look right past the bullshit in China.

FWIW this was featured in the NYT sports section today (link)
by statsdomer  (2020-10-26 21:38:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Thanks for the replies *
by HTownND  (2020-10-24 16:09:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ire directed at Arteta is misplaced
by plact27  (2020-10-24 09:40:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arteta and Ozil played together Arteta’s final two years at the club. He knows better than most what Ozil was versus what he is now. I agree it’s a football decision. Ozil isn’t what he was 5 years ago and it’s wishful thinking that he’ll repeat his World Cup form. Being left out of the Europa and EPL keeps his status quo as an expensive distraction, and a reminder of terrible financial decision making by club management (which is still an issue with money seemingly wasted on Pepe).

He was out well before that started, though
by wcnitz  (2020-10-23 13:03:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He has a poor work rate, doesn't defend, doesn't press well. He doesn't fit into what Arteta wants to do. I fully believe that it's a football decision. I'd make the same one.

Pretty hard to unwind from the outside. Yes, he has been ...
by Rocksteady74  (2020-10-23 12:14:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

... outspoken on that issue and ruffled feathers by meeting Turkey's strongman, but his work ethic and inconsistent play was an issue before that. With Arsenal needing a different approach to the game with their current roster and several years of decline, Ozil, and his over the moon wages, don't fit well regardless of his politics. And the club has a number of appealing young players they are trying to bring along (either to be consistent first teams guys or to sell for needed cash).

However, I don't dismiss the political angle completely because they still have to pay the guy and it is hard to believe that it isn't worth putting him on the roster.

I think it is wishful thinking.
by ChicagoWave03  (2020-10-23 12:11:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think many Arsenal fans have a soft spot for Ozil (myself included) and a distrust and antipathy towards ownership (appropriately so).

Casting Ozil as a social justice warrior fits well into that world view. Ozil as a selfish, at times lazy, player does not.

I think Arteta and Ozil didn't really hit it off, Ozil's work rate disappointed Arteta, Ozil's unwillingness to take a wage cut in the spring and consider transfers this summer broke all hope of salvaging the relationship with ownership, and ownership decided to just fuck him for the fall part of the season.

That's just my suppositions of course. Completely agree with the BS in China and Ozil's views/attempts to draw more attention to it.