B20 said the previous Porto/Juventus game was the greatest
by G.K.Chesterton (2021-03-19 12:40:27)

In reply to: Champions Draw - Thoughts  posted by KnightlyRevue

soccer game he had ever watched (in his young life). Perhaps Porto brings the same energy to their face-off against Chelsea.

Liverpool avoids Man City, Bayern, and PSG for another day.

Oporto's home stadium is "The Dragon"!
by Irish2003  (2021-03-21 18:47:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I love Notre Dame Stadium and if we ever become Google Field I'll cry, but "O Dragao/The Dragon" is a pretty hard one to top!

Along with Knightly I'm the other Madrid guy here, and my bracket would have had Ronaldo carrying Juventus (I'm still reading Pirlo's thesis, linked below as many of y'all may enjoy it, but as a soccer fan I'm glad even if it's a competitor) to a likely semi/finals loss to City, whom I think will unfortunately romp.

City
Tossup!
Bayern
Liverpool - I love Mo, but have a bad feeling he's going to go off against my team

City escapes Bayern the in the real final, then beats Liverpool to win it all. Ugh!

The away goal tie-breaker,
by DillonFightSong  (2021-03-20 09:56:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Even allowing for how seemingly arbitrary it is, is one of my favorite things in sports.

Agreed, but..
by wcnitz  (2021-03-20 10:02:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It should cease to matter once a match goes to extra time.

That’s a fair point.
by DillonFightSong  (2021-03-20 18:15:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although I should mention that Juventus losing is also one of my favorite things in sports.

Yep.
by NDBass  (2021-03-20 13:30:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And I thought that even before Liverpool's loss last year. It is one of the few things I think MLS had correct in their playoffs when they had two legged ties.

It makes sense
by wcnitz  (2021-03-20 15:53:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Each team got a full match to get an advantage. Yeah, the home team still has their supporters but all in all, if it goes to ET in leg two, advancing should be based entirely on winning outright.

Regarding home team in ET...
by NDBass  (2021-03-20 16:27:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The home team in the second leg either earned the right (finished first in group for round of 16) or "won" the draw (quarters/semis) to host the second leg. I think having ET at home is a justifiable reward for earning/winning the spot to host the second leg. Yes, a draw is random, but I think winning should be rewarded. With away goals counting in ET, the "losing" team is rewarded.

I do like your concept of having to win outright in this scenario. That actually means more to me than my convoluted logic, so I'll have to remember it if this ever comes up again.