Why did the Salah (possible) handling not get looked at?
by spade (2021-12-19 15:33:12)
Edited on 2021-12-19 15:42:23

In reply to: VAR shambles in Liverpool/Spurs.  posted by NDBass

I thought it looked like Salah punched the ball forward instead of heading it on the Robertson goal. The replays showed it twice and the announcer even inferred a chalking off, but it didn't ever get re-looked at.

Sure seems like that goal could have gone away but VAR looked away

Edit: Maybe this? "New handball law states if it's not intentional AND the player handballing doesn't go on to score, it's not a handball."

But how is even intentionality adjudicated?

Not sure where you're seeing that written
by wcnitz  (2021-12-20 07:04:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But only a handball by the goal scorer is negated now.

Any other handball in the buildup has the normal handball criteria applied to it. 'Deliberate' is one of those criteria, but it's the same as any other situation.

Because there is nothing to overturn.
by NDMike2001  (2021-12-19 16:47:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The handball did not lead to a goal. Had it gone in, it would have been disallowed.

Instead it was a ball that hit a hand...which is not in itself a reviewable incident.

I believe it is the new interpretation as you mentioned.
by NDBass  (2021-12-19 16:23:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think he was trying to head it and his hand was in a somewhat natural position. The contact between head/hand almost looked simultaneous to me. Either way, had the ball gone in from that, it would've been reversed. (Well, I say that, but you never know with this horseshit VAR process in the PL.) Because he didn't score and it didn't appear to be intentional, play was allowed to continue and the resulting goal stood.

To answer your question, I think it tends to be very obvious when it is intentional. Salah's motions looked natural to me, but I admit to being biased.