They will 100% resign Salah.
by NDMike2001 (2022-03-15 09:27:51)

In reply to: Jack Gaughan is considered a reliable  posted by dwjm3

Mbappe will go to Madrid. If for some reason he has a change of heart and stays in Paris then Madrid and City could battle for Haaland. There's a chance that Madrid could go for Salah, but I doubt it.

You are right about one thing. Diaz signaled their intentions. He plays on the left. Jota plays on the left. Mane plays on the left.

The contracts for Firmino, Mane and Salah all end at the same time. The reason there is all the stuff in the press about Salah is because they are, in fact, negotiating the extension. The same cannot be said for Mane and Firmino right now. And because of all the recent covid losses it makes sense for agents to stall so that the market goes back up.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that Salah resigns, Mane is sold to Madrid and Firmino runs out his contract. Liverpool have Harvey Elliott, Kade Gordon and hopefully Fabio Carvalho that are relatively cheap and they can bank on at least one panning out as a world class replacement for Salah as he gets older.

I think they'll be more focused on bolstering the midfield by looking for a long term solution for Henderson and moving on from Ox.

Agree that that is how it will play out
by siegfried08  (2022-03-15 10:18:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Salah's agent is just posturing. He wants to resign for the club, and the club wants to give him higher wages than they've ever given anybody. It'll get done.

When is Salah coming on the Pat McAfee Show? *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2022-03-15 14:18:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

If you think the left is crowded at Liverpool
by KnightlyRevue  (2022-03-15 10:07:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

don't go to Madrid. Vinicius and Mbappe both prefer the left hand side and while I love Mane I do not see him taking one of those two spots. Madrid needs to get rid of Hazard (also plays on the left) at a significant loss and luckily Marcelo, Isco, and Bale come off the books.

I would love Salah at Madrid as RW is a tad weak but I would also be fine rolling with Rodrygo and Asencio if we get Mbappe. Salah is going to be hyper expensive and I would think PSG would be a player if Mbappe leaves.
Eventually Madrid will have to plan for life without Benzema but I think 2 more years at this level is not out of the question.

Ha! Fair point.
by NDMike2001  (2022-03-15 10:22:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do think Mane is capable of playing in various positions. He first played RW when Liverpool did not have Salah. But Klopp prefers the forwards coming in to open up and shoot on their dominant side.

I don't know too much about Madrid's depth (obviously). I just know that Mane sees his role as an ambassador for his country and continent. And it just feels like he has a desire to explore a different project to see out that role.

Salah on the other hand is looking to complete a personal legacy - which includes trophies and challenging for the Ballon D'or. Those options right now are essentially Liverpool, City or Madrid. Salah is in a tough spot. Because Madrid is probably his only real alternative and that comes with the narrative that he was the backup option to Mbappe and he left Liverpool because of the money.

I hate seeing players like Salah leave the club
by KnightlyRevue  (2022-03-15 10:30:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

where they had a mountain of success. The guy is adored by the fans and I hope he can work it out. Madrid is in a great financial position but they need to address midfield and probably RB before adding another high dollar forward. I love Haaland and think he has the potential to be a generational talent but how you create a lineup with Vini Jr, Mbappe, Benzema and Haaland is a mystery to me. Mbappe has been clear that he doesn't want to play on the right. Vini Jr could but he is awful on that side. Benz is fluid but he isn't a CAM.

The silly season is in full swing. I agree with you 100% if Salah wants Balon D'or and Champions he needs to stay at Liverpool. I would absolutely hate to see him move to Prison St Germain.

There's nowhere else for him.
by NDMike2001  (2022-03-15 12:21:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's really a bit of an ego thing for him. And I use that term loosely because I don't think he's arrogant. But I do think that it's important for him that he is recognized for his great accomplishments. So when he's 7th in Ballon D'Or and left off of the Fifa World 11 he's right to be frustrated. And while he knows that accumulating trophies is the best solution, he also knows that contracts reflect a certain recognition of his greatness and importance to the club. But you could double his current salary (which is roughly the same as VVD's new deal) and he'd just be making the same as KDB - who is one of several City players making more than every Liverpool player.

But you're right, he's at the best club to maintain his elite profile and he's loved. He doesn't drink or party and he's not looking for the glamorous nightlife or lifestyle. He wants to win and be recognized. But to compensate him close to his peers would entirely smash Liverpool's salary structure.