Man, I love Vini Jr. IMO, the best young player
by KnightlyRevue (2022-12-01 20:07:37)

In reply to: No Bellingham or Vini Jr?  posted by wiNDycityfan

Not named Haaland or Mbappé but I felt his 2nd game was only so-so by the standard he has spoiled me with at Madrid. It’s a shame his goal got ruled off sides.

Gio…I still don’t get it. I felt the Iran game was perfectly suited to his style to break their lines. Feel the same about the Netherlands.

In hindsight, Iran didn't set up as deep as we thought
by wcnitz  (2022-12-02 06:59:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The first half was far more open than anyone expected, and there were times that Iran was putting more players forward. Very different than the 5-4-1 block we saw from CR against Germany yesterday, especially with them going 6 wide at various points in the first half after Germany kept getting unchallenged crosses in.

It's really hard to see where Gio starts in this side if Pulisic and Weah are available. People want a false 9, but who's slipping inside when that happens? Weah? That's VVD and Ake in there, who haven't been amazing in this tournament but can certainly turn it up a notch on Saturday. I just don't think there's a good answer here. If we're chasing the game in the second half, then it would make sense to maybe take McKennie off for Gio. But it would be a risk, IMO, to put Gio in over Weston to start.

All fair points.. Zero chance I would sit
by KnightlyRevue  (2022-12-02 08:48:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Weston to start a game though I may have given Gio a start over Weah in one of the group games even though it is tough to fault Berhalter there as Gio has had a healthy amount of muscular/hamstring issues leading to the WC.

The one player I was excited to see for the US was Ricardo Pepi. I really thought this kid played well in qualifiers and even though his start at Augsburg was horrid he had picked up the pace in his first few games in the Dutch league on loan getting a goal or assist in each game. Players with Ricardo's nose for goal are tough to find. Luckily, he is still young enough to make a huge impact for the national team if he continues his progress.

I think the 9 was a really tough roster choice
by wcnitz  (2022-12-02 10:42:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pepi was definitely improving since the move, but with his age he still has a long future ahead. To me, the only argument that could have been made was Pepi over Jesus, but I think the latter does things with pressing/counter-pressing and defending that Pepi doesn't do as much yet (same with Sargent - he never fails on that side of the job).

And I really think there are some real risks with Gio and he isn't actually 100%.