Arsenal-FC Bayern
by SCOANGERS (2024-04-08 16:35:05)

FC Bayern was beaten 3-2 at Heidenheim in Bad Wurtenberg despite taking a 0-2 lead.This summer would need a reset but this maybe deeper that I thought.

Arsenal has huge momentum but 1) this is a young team 2) history shows FCB dominating in all 1-1 matches 3) German press is explaining this is the "Kampfmodus" combat mode . I call this 50-50

Saka
by mitquinn  (2024-04-09 15:14:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One of us!

Sell Davies now…
by iudomer  (2024-04-09 19:23:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Won’t make return leg, Saka’s goal was all him. Yeah Dier didn’t step up but Davies has regressed.

Enjoy him Madrid, his defending has not improved.

He's mentally checked out
by wcnitz  (2024-04-10 06:21:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good for him and his agent, they're both going to get a nice payday.

Gnabry
by mitquinn  (2024-04-09 15:21:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Welp… was one of us….

I hope no Arsenal supporters think that
by wcnitz  (2024-04-09 17:00:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Last chance was a penalty. Good lord, that was some fishing. His own assistant coach had to get him away from the referee.

Ref had a fine match, btw. Consistent and got the big ones 100% right. I bet he gets the final.

Not a penalty, but absolutely not 100% right
by ChicagoWave03  (2024-04-10 09:49:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That elbow by Kane was a clear red. He looked behind him and directly and intentionally elbowed Gabriel in the throat. Kane should absolutely have seen red for that.

He wasn't looking at him when he put the arm back
by wcnitz  (2024-04-10 10:02:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He looked back before the contact.

Amazing how for Arsenal fans all over the internet, nothing went for them yesterday, all the questionable calls went against them. Except the ones that didn't.

I think he glanced back to find him...
by ndroman21  (2024-04-10 10:04:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...but I don't think it was an intentional elbow to the throat. Borderline red/yellow. No problem with it. Although I do like to see Harry Kane sent off.

I get I am biased here
by ChicagoWave03  (2024-04-10 10:16:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But Kane is flat out dirty. No player has ever taken jumping players legs out from under them more than he has. And he's incredibly intelligent with his positioning. He absolutely knew where Gabriel was and threw that elbow knowing where it would hit him.

Agreed, it's just a strong caution
by wcnitz  (2024-04-10 10:06:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kane gets fouled a lot when he's trying to hold up play, so it's not surprising to seem him get physical in response.

Threadjack....did you see the Arsenal/Brighton penalty?
by ndroman21  (2024-04-10 10:14:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Curious as to your opinion. Even as a former keeper, I don't think that a nick on the ball should negate a crushing foul. Jesus would have still had the ball on his feet in the box even after the slight touch by the defender.

100% penalty to me.

But I know I'm biased.

Couldn't find video of it, wasn't in extended highlights
by wcnitz  (2024-04-10 10:22:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Without context, I will say this: the PL tends to put a bit too much emphasis on 'got the ball'. Is it a consideration? Yes, and a significant one. But if the action is careless, reckless or endangering the safety of the opponent, it's still a foul.

The one that Saka scored on....
by ndroman21  (2024-04-10 10:29:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's here. Half of the commentary I've seen has been that it shouldn't have been given because Lamptey touched the ball.

Ah, I skipped it because it was called
by wcnitz  (2024-04-10 10:57:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My god, that's an obvious penalty. That's the textbook definition of 'got the ball, but was also incredibly stupid'.

The goal kick hand ball was a farce…
by iudomer  (2024-04-09 20:32:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kids mistake? That’s horrible.

As a referee
by wcnitz  (2024-04-10 05:24:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I can say pretty confidently we’ve all waved those off from time to time.

That said…it puts the referee in a shitty position. Doesn’t align with the spirit of the game, but is technically a handball. It's also a Champions League knockout, not a beer league match. Not an easy answer to this one.

The whistle wasn't even done blowing yet when Raya kicked.
by ndroman21  (2024-04-10 10:17:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think it would have been incredibly harsh to penalize that and, as you note, against the spirit of the laws. What advantage did Arsenal gain by Gabriel handling the ball?

Right, however 2 things to keep in mind
by wcnitz  (2024-04-10 10:24:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The whistle is the whistle - the start of it indicates that play may start. The play had clearly restarted here. Letter of the law, it IS a penalty.

If Kane or another Bayern player had immediately gone into the penalty area and pressured before it was picked back up, the referee would have likely had a much, much more difficult decision to make. Because it goes from trifling/common sense no foul to mattering

Yeah Rule 18 explained…
by iudomer  (2024-04-10 10:20:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No advantage. I guess, but that’s some Sunday league shit and not CL quality.

I think it may have been if he just ran naturally.
by ndroman21  (2024-04-09 17:48:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think Neuer probably still would’ve clipped him even if he hadn’t brought his leg forward.

As it happened, though, the ref got it right, and it wasn’t an easy one. I was screaming for a penalty on live action.

Yep, agreed
by wcnitz  (2024-04-10 05:23:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He may have well have been hopping along on that right leg he was hanging it out there so much.

I am a little surprised by Arteta’s thinking
by ChicagoWave03  (2024-04-09 16:11:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kiwior probably was the wrong call to start, but then why is Zinchenko the answer? He can’t defend at all.

Because Arsenal needed a goal.
by ndroman21  (2024-04-09 17:45:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Zinchenko provides more in attack than Tomiyasu or Kiowor.

Yeah I get that
by ChicagoWave03  (2024-04-10 09:44:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

but put us at risk of being down 3-1 as much as an opportunity to get to 2-2. And, really, we actually looked worse with the shift in formation having White stay back until Jesus/Trossard came on.

But, ultimately got to 2-2 and on to Munich to see if we can move on. Not terrible, but really should have done better today. A couple mistakes away from really being in a great spot.

If White buries the golden chance at 16'....
by ndroman21  (2024-04-10 10:03:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...the margins are just so thin against good teams. Bayern, despite their struggles this year, are still an excellent team with absurd individual talent.

Raya had a pretty bad day. Don't know what he was doing so high up the pitch when he still had defenders in front of the ball. And both the goal and the Bayern chance off the post went right through him. He really should have been down for both, IMHO as a former keeper. Make them at least elevate the ball.

IMO, the mistake there was the choice to play on the ground
by wcnitz  (2024-04-10 10:05:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just clear the damn ball upfield when you see the keeper out of position. Put it 50 rows up. Don't take a poorly footed turn and make a bad pass on the ground.

It was just ancy play all around in that sequence.
by ndroman21  (2024-04-10 10:11:18)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Raya had no need to come up for that ball and confuse Gabriel.

Gabriel rushed more than he needed to. He had both Raya and Saliba inside and wasn't under tremendous pressure. Could've easily taken an extra touch and played that ball. Or, as you note, just clear it OOB and give your teammates time to get back into shape.

Kiowor was flat-footed and should've done better with the pass. Once he didn't get it, he should've reacted to defend faster.

Arsenal wasn't quite ready for the bright lights, I think. They are young and inexperienced, after all.

Yep, they were pretty naive
by wcnitz  (2024-04-10 10:17:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a learning experience for most of those players. The line between winning and losing in CL knockouts tends to be a very fine one.

Empty stadium? *
by wcnitz  (2024-04-10 09:46:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

No sorry, that was a mistake. *
by ChicagoWave03  (2024-04-10 09:51:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Timber haunts
by mitquinn  (2024-04-09 16:38:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Been the squad hole all year.

I like giving Jakob the confidence to start. Unfortunate mistakes.

I guess going down a goal, Z has the through ball dimension to add.

The bigger mistakes were Raya’s and Gabriel’s.
by ndroman21  (2024-04-09 17:50:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arsenal looked like a team without European experience for much of the game. Indecisive and tentative.

The draw was a fair outcome.

Even small mistakes in CL knockouts are heavily punished
by wcnitz  (2024-04-09 15:52:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arsenal learned that lesson twice in the first half.

You have to take the yellow card and just bring down Sane there. Letting him go with space in front of him is just asking for it.

Kiwior not up to this task. *
by ChicagoWave03  (2024-04-09 15:40:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Arteta remembers.
by Wooderson  (2024-04-08 21:24:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He will have them ready.

Arsenal is rising.

Well, could have gone better. *
by Wooderson  (2024-04-09 17:37:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post