Wrexham trying to lock up promotion today
by DakotaDomer (2024-04-13 10:44:01)

What does everyone think about Wrexham? Personally I really love watching their success compared to other teams whose success is based off outspending other teams. The difference is that it’s being driven by Americans and people who know how to tell a story - not by inherited oil money wealth.

Is it fair competition? Definitely not but neither is any other level of soccer. I think their first season heartbreak really allows fans to cheer for them even as they overspend and overpower these lower leagues.

Wayne makes a great hamburger.
by NDBass  (2024-04-13 16:06:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The double cheeseburger, chips, and a can drink for £7.00 was an unbelievable deal. Also fun when his assistant thought I said white vinegar instead of light vinegar for the chips.

Huge fan of the story.
by ChicagoWave03  (2024-04-13 11:50:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don't have a problem with the outspending in this instance. R&R are classy guys, it has uplifted an entire town as noted below. A town that has historically been pretty down on its luck.

And they've done it — 2 promotions in a row
by DakotaDomer  (2024-04-13 12:02:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do remember someone knowledgeable once saying they’d get to Championship in short order (2-5 years) but after that it would be very tough.

I’m just impressed by how well they’ve scripted this story and then made it a reality. On field growing pains won’t be the story this season so they’ll probably talk about off-field growing pains and the downsides/challenges of success and celebrity.

Next season the task becomes more difficult
by wcnitz  (2024-04-13 10:49:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

And it will probably take more time for them to move up. The spending rate and additions they'll have to make, along with continuing internal investment, will prevent them from just outspending (smartly) again.

I have zero issue with it, and the hate they get on the island is purely because of the other clubs not getting the same investment level. But good on them, it's helped to lift up an entire town and clearly R&R are emotionally all in.

Interesting weeks for my former high school.........
by Ty Webb  (2024-04-15 11:55:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

McElhenney went to the same high school as I did. He was a few years after me. My good friend's brother was in his class at the Prep and still stays in contact. Says he's a great guy and down to earth and pretty genuine.

A classmate of mine has a few big time soccer sons. His oldest son, Quinn Sullivan, plays for the Philadelphia Union now. Another son, Cavan Sullivan, is one of the top 14 year olds in the world and the Union have worked out a potential transfer for him with Man City when he turns 18.

by idesofoctober  (2024-04-15 12:26:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I do not *
by Ty Webb  (2024-04-15 12:34:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

by idesofoctober  (2024-04-15 12:47:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post