Scholarships & Recruiting in Non-Revenue Sports
by CKDexterHaven (2014-12-05 14:18:08)

In reply to: Debbie Brown won't be back  posted by SB Jimbo

I have often wondered just how much of a disadvantage ND faces when trying to recruit athletes to play those sports in which full scholarships for the entire roster are not available. High tuition and costs at ND would seem to leave a greater remaining expense for families to bear than at State schools where the non-covered expenses are lower.

That is not an issue in volleyball.
by vita dulcedo spes  (2014-12-05 15:58:17)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

12 full scholarships for a sport where maybe 8 players will contribute meaningful playing time. There's no reason for them to keep walk-ons.

I think more than eight usually see time.
by Mr Wednesday  (2014-12-05 18:47:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The base rotation is six players, but the libero is usually subbing the MBs as they go through the back row. If it's a 6-2 rotation, then they'll swap setters. Usually at least one OH gets subbed out through the back row.

And that's before you get into the younger players who are getting worked into the lineup in preparation for a bigger role later in their career.

I think it's more of an issue in mens sports because they
by Tex Francisco  (2014-12-05 14:51:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

often have lower scholarship limits due to Title IX compliance.