Yes. My memory however when our daughter was being recruited
by Mmb (2021-02-23 11:52:20)

In reply to: I’m not an expert but don’t understand the rush  posted by bizdomer09

Was that the times from sophomore year were important because the athletic departments at the most academically elite universities wanted her in "athletes of interest" queue very early. So she was fielding a lot of calls and visits early ... Whenever it was that the coaches were allowed to talk to the students.

I'm a former admissions officer, and my take on it at the time was that it was helpful for the athletic department in the relationship with the admissions office. And the coaches all seem pretty keen on fixing her interest early that year. She had a couple universities that asked her to apply early admit with the idea that they would be able to make sure she was admitted. She opted not to do that because it was too much pressure too early. She was a very good student, But I'm guessing admission at the most elite universities would have been a long shot without the athletic talent.

Maybe I'm overthinking the situation based on that... The wonderful thing about track is it's a number in a box.
🙂

I think the contact period was pushed back in past few yrs
by fortune_smith  (2021-02-23 13:50:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Others on here may know more history.

I have a distance-running HS junior. My observation is that recruiting interest for '22s intensified once coaches settled out their '21 commits.

Another observation is that coaches from elite universities want to get a sense early on that they're not wasting their time on athletes who may not have the required academic profile or who want scholarships that are not going to be on offer. However, I don't think formal admissions vetting begins until after junior year concludes. Perhaps this was different back in time.

I agree with many points other posters have made. Additionally, in my view, competing in the east coast invitational holds a lot of appeal. It's probably a well-scouted event that helps coaches find athletes, supplementing a process that requires a lot of outreach from the athletes.

Provided the athlete and a chaperone don't perceive themselves as high-risk for COVID, I would be in favor of competing as long as the athlete can go into the event in good racing form -- not to be taken for granted given the limited opportunities to compete over the past year.

Thank you. That's really helpful as well.... *
by Mmb  (2021-02-24 00:03:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post