I’m not an expert but don’t understand the rush
by bizdomer09 (2021-02-23 00:11:13)

In reply to: General track recruiting question  posted by Mmb

Wouldn’t this summer and Junior year be enough time to notch competitive times early enough to be recruited? I also expect that he should improve over the next year, unless he’s an extreme early bloomer. I could see if this were football or basketball and the concern is capturing game film or being seen in action. But track seems pure enough that if you can get on a good track in a competition that pushes you when you’re at or near a peak, and notch a good time before all of the scholarships are given out (still time I would think), you should be okay.

Again, I’m wondering out loud. I was a decent runner but only marginally recruited and not an expert. There may be good reason why I’m wrong and sophomore times are in fact somehow critical.

Counterpoint to the above re traveling concerns - I flew east across the country last week (out of necessity due to family health emergency) and there were about 20 people on the entire plane. I’m pretty extreme in being Covid risk averse, but I double masked and wore a shield and felt safe. Once Spring break hits planes will be more full, but that will be counterbalanced (I hope) by less Covid per capita by that point.