Still reeling from what happened to the program
by NDoggie78 (2022-02-02 09:21:10)

In reply to: Here's a helpful Salima Rockwell article stating that there  posted by MPG

She seems like a good hire, but she is left with an incredibly difficult task - best players left ship and even if some had remained, depth is going to be an issue.

Of course I thought Johnson was doing a good job, recruiting well and a Covid 2020 15-4 and in the tourney. Then something fell apart - 13-15 last year with almost entire team returning. Then a mass exodus and his firing. I'm not sure what happened, but hope it wasn't issues like other schools have had (Big 10)

Here are the current eight players as far as I can tell:
by MPG  (2022-02-02 11:16:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Setters: Schrader and Kane
Liberos: Monson and Schmidt
Right side Hitter: Bent
Middle Blockers: Tarnoff, Wenzel, and McDowell

Monson is the star of this group, although Schrader is a highly regarded prospect who was behind a four year starter during her first year. Bent was second team All-ACC during her first two seasons before having her next two seasons limited severely by injuries.

Two highly ranked freshman outside hitters are on their way along with another setter and libero. It will be interesting to see who Coach Rockwell can find in the transfer portal during the spring as she begins the rebuild...

I just wish I understood rationale for top players leaving
by NDoggie78  (2022-02-03 10:48:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hate the coach? - Well he was fired and replaced
Playing time? - Those that left were pretty much all starters
Win a championship elsewhere? - Possibly, I guess, but some of those don't have a much better chance than ND
Hate ND? - It's not for everyone, but not likely a reason for all of them
NIL money? - Not sure that's come into play in volleyball
A better chance for the pros? - Not a likely reason in volleyball
A better education? - Maybe a graduate program ND doesn't offer, but overall, they went to lesser schools

Something missing here - maybe we'll never know

I know your first point was a big issue
by El Kabong  (2022-02-03 11:14:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I also know at least one player left for a grad degree that ND doesn't offer or for a program whose degree is better thought of than ND's.

True, and multiple players were in the portal for several
by MPG  (2022-02-04 10:47:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

weeks before Rockwell was named coach. Among the non-seniors, one went home to Texas, another went home to California, and a third went home to Milwaukee.