Big East was a brilliant strategic move for Creighton
by irishrock (2020-03-24 09:28:44)

In reply to: ESPN Pre-Season Top 25 has Villanova, Creighton and  posted by Irishdog80

and vice versa. Academic wise, they are included with Georgetown, Villanova, Marquette, and Xavier...good company. Sports they are included with the same...it's raised their stature and allows them to recruit at a higher level (they've pulled kids from Australia and Eastern Europe, something they would have had a harder time doing in the Missouri Valley)

I recall a ND fan ripping Creighton earlier in the year when I suggested that ND/Creighton have a home/home as a "shit school, shit program" and it was funny to read. Creighton is an excellent school and is certainly not a shit program...they would have been a #2 seed this year. They are "Omaha's basketball" team and average over 17k fans per game.

The Big East is a great basketball conference (with the exception of DePaul) and has a lot of depth.

Creighton's track record vs. ND's since joining
by JC_90_94  (2020-03-30 15:41:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ND joined the ACC in 2013-14, the same year Creighton joined the Big East. During that time their records are:

ND 152 wins, 91 losses, winning percentage 62.6, 3 NCAA appearances

CU 151 wins, 86 losses, winning percentage 63.7, 3 NCAA appearances

Certainly it could be argued that during this time the ACC has been a stronger conference top to bottom. However, anyone who claimed either was a "shit program" would have to be ignored.

I think McDermott is one of the best coaches in the Big East and gets a lot out of his players. As noted, CU is Omaha's team and they draw incredibly well in a huge arena.

As for academics, I'm biased with a daughter who is a current Creighton student but it has worked out very well for her with incredible opportunities. Sure, ND is viewed in a different tier but dismissing Creighton as a "shit" school is as stupid as aspirational peer speak.

In the short term, Creighton has a lot of guys back next year and should be a contender in the Big East and perhaps for the NCAA championship.

Personally, I'd love to see a Creighton/ND home and home
by NDFanSince81  (2020-03-26 08:04:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

WTF is the deal with this talk about academic prestige in selecting non-conference opponents? We don't ask that question in scheduling anyone else, why ask it when talking about these Catholic schools?

Georgetown, Villanove, Marquette, Xavier, Dayton, DePaul, Gonzaga ... bring 'em on! One or two a year in home-and-home deals would be blast. Drop the Crossroads classic, if needed, to make it happen.

How about a 4 team Catholic school classic in Chicago each year?

Re: paragraph #2. I, too, about fell out of my chair laugh-
by Irish72  (2020-03-24 14:30:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ing at the post. Creighton has been ranked at the top academically for decades. It has generally produced representative athletic teams. I have had several family members graduate from Creighton, including a son who is a professor there. I do not know if the poster being mentioned has/had an axe to grind against the school or was just misinformed.

No offense
by Twinkie the Kid  (2020-03-24 19:34:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But I've never thought of Creighton as a top flight academic school. I've always likened it to Xavier or Dayton (which are both excellent schools, but who don't quite have the academic gravitas of ND or Georgetown or even BC).

it definitely does not have ND's academic brand
by irishrock  (2020-03-24 20:50:03)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The ND brand is outstanding. By no means, was I saying it wasn't. the Creighton brand is probably undervalued...their business school is excellent. But it is not at ND's level.

My daughter has been fortunate to get to really participate and by that I mean:
manage part of the endowment (They have a trading floor with 8 Bloomberg terminals)
lead the largest student run business symposium in the country
Go to Hong Kong/China for two weeks
go to NYC this past December for a week on Wall Street
Be taught by CFA's...Creighton has more CFA's on staff than any university in the world
Internships at some really great companies where she was able to earn good $ (she worked part time and made more than I made in my first full time real job) that was the advantage of working at a school in a city and one like Omaha which is very business minded.

I take nothing away from ND...who could? But Creighton gets it and is building/enhancing its brand far better than a SLU/Xavier/Marquette/Loyola. It's in the Midwest so flies under the radar.

I agree Creighton's geography
by Twinkie the Kid  (2020-03-25 16:26:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

being in flyover country hurts from a branding standpoint. I have no doubt it's great institution. It seems like a place I would've enjoyed as an undergraduate.

Also, I have a few friends that reside in Omaha (non-natives) who rave about the place. It seems like the perfect little-big town.

The Midwest version of Villanova
by Ty Webb  (2020-03-24 20:48:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe without as many rich kids from the Main Line.

it felt like ND hubris combined with geographical bias
by irishrock  (2020-03-24 16:09:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

My daughter is a senior at the school and I really enjoy Omaha...it's an excellent city but just does not have a pro sports team (and I don't think they really care with: CWS, Creighton sports, Nebraska football, Olympic swim trials, Berkshire Hathaway meeting)

I believe poster was from Northeast and wanted more of a NE feel to a home/home. Creighton, Marquette, Xavier...all would be nice non conference games for ND

Agree. Hard to fathom your daughter being a senior already. *
by Irish72  (2020-03-24 17:06:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

she had a really good experience...see above
by irishrock  (2020-03-24 20:51:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Hopefully your son is doing well...if he likes Omaha, it'd have to be a great place to be a professor.

OT - I have a senior as well
by JC_90_94  (2020-03-30 15:20:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Her Creighton experience was great as well. Seems like yesterday that I was polling the BR for information on the school because we had no connection or family history with Creighton at all.

It is a shame that they will not (at least for now) have a traditional graduation ceremony. In the grand scheme I certainly appreciate that this is a "first world" problem but they have all worked very hard to get to this point and the celebration should be one made together. That said, I think Creighton has done a great job communicating with the students, streaming mass from St. John's and having a weekly prayer service via Zoom in which the students can see each other.

Roll Jays.

I attended last week and will be on the mass tonight
by irishrock  (2020-03-31 18:00:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

yep, a bummer considering we both spent likely 6 figures to see our daughters graduate.

1st world problem and all that.

Best of luck to her and to you and your family...stay safe

I mean it was an obvious strategic move.
by tdiddy07  (2020-03-24 11:01:26)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That has been very successful.