Bob Whitmore has passed.
by mocopdx (2020-05-23 13:47:10)

RIP to a great man.

Saw him play at one of last games at the old field house *
by thethinman  (2020-05-27 20:31:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wrote this for his Ring of Honor induction (link)
by Kayo  (2020-05-24 19:55:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Good stuff, thank you. *
by mocopdx  (2020-05-25 12:28:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Excellent read. Thank you. Slightly off-
by Homeboy73  (2020-05-24 20:15:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

topic. While Alcindor was at Power, did he ever face Rice with Dean Meminger?

A pic, in case you missed his Ring of Honor induction:
by Jess  (2020-05-24 17:43:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

ROH-Whit-Tron-10f3 async src="//embedr.flickr.com/assets/client-code.js" charset="utf-8">>

Taken off the 'Tron, January 12, 2019; BC at ND

R.I.P. Bob ...

Link to Tom Noie write-up on Whitmore. R.I.P. (link)
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-05-24 17:35:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bob Whitmore
by 317Farley (click here to email the poster)  (2020-05-24 10:17:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had Irish History with him. He also worked at Riggs National Bank with my late wife. He was a good guy.

The DC pipeline started with him
by SixShutouts66  (2020-05-23 14:33:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

In a sense he should be saluted as a pioneer. I believe Tom Hawkins was the first and only African American BB player before Bob (and Dwight Murphy IIRC) enrolled. (Olson pointed out Larry Sheffield and some early FB players).

Many of the all-time Irish greats (Austin Carr, Adrian Dantley, Sid Catlett, Collis Jones + many more) followed him to ND.

As I recall, Bob had a very successful post_BB career at IBM.

Plus he picked us over Michigan.

Notre Dame's first AA hoops players
by TimNeely  (2020-05-26 19:26:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

They were Joe Bertrand and Entee Shine, both of whom played during the 1951-52 season. Shine, who was recruited from South Bend Central, was one of three Irish players who ended up on academic probation during the second semester of '51-'52; he ended up leaving ND and transfered to Tennessee State, from which he was drafted (Korean War). Shine later returned to South Bend and lived there until his death in 2009. Bertrand, who came from Chicago, was a three-year starter at ND. He returned to Chicago and was City Treasurer for eight years in the 1970s; he passed in 1990.

Larry Sheffield from White Plains, NY - roomed w/Arringrton *
by DBCSMITH  (2020-05-25 16:28:49)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post