Notre Dame - Kentucky Men’s Basketball Series Announced
by Kayo (2020-05-28 10:33:30)

Just received via email...

The University of Notre Dame and University of Kentucky have announced a three-game men’s basketball series that will begin during the upcoming 2020-21 season.

December 12, 2020 - Notre Dame at Kentucky | Rupp Arena

December 11, 2021 - Notre Dame vs. Kentucky | Neutral Site (TBA)

December 10, 2022 - Kentucky at Notre Dame | Purcell Pavilion

The Irish will travel to Rupp Arena on December 12, 2020, for the tip off of the series. A neutral site game will be played December 11, 2021, followed by a visit from the Wildcats to Purcell Pavilion on December 10, 2022. Game times and broadcast details are still to be determined for all three matchups.

“It is great to renew a series between two of the ‘blue bloods’ of college basketball,” Glenn and Stacey Murphy Head Men’s Basketball Coach Mike Brey said.

“If our recent battles with Kentucky are any indication, these games should be appointment viewing for college basketball fans.”

Fresh in most college basketball fans’ minds is the 2015 meeting between ACC Champion Notre Dame and number-one ranked Kentucky during the NCAA Elite Eight at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, Ohio. The Wildcats outlasted the Irish by two points while the game drew the highest rating ever recorded for a college basketball game broadcast on cable television.

The two teams first met in 1929, with regular meetings following throughout the history of both programs. The Irish won six of the first seven meetings between the two teams, but Kentucky has controlled most of the series – with a large majority of the meetings taking place at Freedom Hall in Louisville, Kentucky. The Wildcats hold a 43-19 advantage in the series, but the teams have split their four most recent meetings.

I’m pumped for this. *
by civil_engr05  (2020-05-28 12:24:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2021 at Garden according to Cornette
by Irish14 (click here to email the poster)  (2020-05-28 12:04:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cornette said 2021 is at the Garden on Twitter. Haven’t seen anything from Notre Dame on that. I’m sure he might know something.

Sounds great....I'll be there ... *
by Wolfetone  (2020-05-28 16:46:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Should have a vaccine by then.... *
by Giggity_Giggity  (2020-05-28 23:25:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Yeah...Forgot about Covid-19 for about one minute.... *
by Wolfetone  (2020-05-29 08:54:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Man
by HTownND  (2020-05-28 16:25:56)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We may get a really bad remaining OOC schedule for 2021.

Kentucky at the Garden
Maui invitational
Indiana/Purdue down in Indy
ACC/Big N (maybe)

That's a good slate. I suspect the rest is going to suck though, to make up for it.

We clamor for a better OOC schedule, receive an A+ one...
by DawsonMayes871  (2020-05-28 18:34:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...then bemoan that the fact that the ones other than Kentucky, Maui, Purdue/Indiana, and another Big 10 team are going to suck? Come on, maaaaaaan!

A+ is a little strong.
by tdiddy07  (2020-05-28 20:25:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially if the bottom end kills our computer rankings, per usual.

Agreed
by HTownND  (2020-05-29 15:58:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That was the point. Those are some great games. I hope the rest isn't RPI 300+ filler. I hope we don't try to soften the rest too much, but I won't hold my breath.

Ok...
by DawsonMayes871  (2020-05-29 11:00:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

How about an excellent one that far surpasses what we're used to?

I believe
by Irish14 (click here to email the poster)  (2020-05-28 17:00:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I believe there is no scheduled Crossroads game as of now in Indy in 2021 but I could be wrong.

Renewed through 2021.
by John@Indy  (2020-05-28 17:10:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So, there will be at least two more.

Thanks
by Irish14 (click here to email the poster)  (2020-05-28 18:56:47)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

was thinking it was in its final year.

Hard to beat that. *
by revressbo  (2020-05-28 14:37:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Nowadays "appointment viewing" extends to the partial seats
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-05-28 11:48:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

available at the arena, too. But great to see it on the schedule.

PS - IMHO, I think we are among the "blue blood" teams, but I guess that is debatable. Here's a list of 20 blue blood teams, and we ain't on it.

Thumbs-up to high-level OOC games no matter the context *
by gordonbombay  (2020-05-28 11:04:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

an aside/trivia- only ND BB player to transfer to Kentucky
by olson  (2020-05-28 10:45:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ralph Jackowski (see link) a member of the ND 1934/35 ND Frosh football and basketball teams.....a HB in football from Chicago St Rita

Played one yr of varsity BB at ND & ND 'B' team in football as a soph. = then transferred to KY -where he also played both sports

FWIW Ty Proffitt transferred to a Kentucky school
by Ajax  (2020-06-03 13:47:37)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bill Clinton's unofficial alma mater- Morehead State.

Proffitt was the 4th member of one of the unheralded HS class with Abro/Scott/Nash.

Known as "Jackowski's Folly" *
by Notra_Dahm  (2020-05-28 13:00:55)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

history of each ND-Ky BB game -with box scores
by olson  (2020-05-28 10:51:52)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

link is from a Kentucky BB site

click on the score of each game to see the box score

Austin Carr vs Kentucky
by olson  (2020-05-28 15:07:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Austin had some big games vs Kentucky

23, 43, 52 (in NCAA tourney), and 50 pts

Carr also scored 41 pts for the ND Frosh vs the Ky Frosh (ND Frosh won 101-75)

That ND Frosh team (with Collis Jones & Carr) only lost 1 game...that loss was the game before this Kentucky Frosh victory- when ND Frosh lost to Marquette Frosh & Dean 'the dream' Meminger 77-80...Carr had 29 pts & Meminger had 37....and Collis Jones had 18 pts-playing for the first time ever at forward(Jones had only played center in HS)

ND Frosh had a later rematch with the Marquette Frosh (who were undefeated)....this time ND won 98-83...leading the entire game....Carr scored 33 & Meminger had 42 for the losers

ND Frosh usually played the Marquette Frosh twice (back in the day before Frosh became eligible for the varsity)- home & away

Just curious
Anyone else remember John Shumate and Larry? McNeil getting tossed out of a Marquette-ND Frosh game for fighting??

Yeah, I remember that fight.
by CourtTV  (2020-05-31 22:47:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Don’t remember who started what, but John Shumate was never one to back down. ND really missed his on-court toughness the following year when he was sidelined by blood clots. The 1971-72 season with just 6 wins would not have been that dismal had he been playing.

One upside to freshman ineligibility in that era was the opportunity provided by the Frosh games to eyeball the newcomers playing extended minutes in competitively-balanced games. In addition to Shumate and Larry McNeil, the other clear talent on the floor that night was a lightning-quick MU guard named Marcus Washington. Missing from the floor that night, sadly, was ND’s answer to Washington - Sam Puckett, the Chicago legend in the 1970 recruiting class who never saw one minute on the court at ND, freshman or varsity. To get a wistful feeling of what might have been, see the 1997 Chicago Trib article linked below.

Dean The Dream was one of McGuire's all-time favorites. *
by G.K.Chesterton  (2020-05-28 18:41:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Glad to see that tradition will be honored with a neutral
by MPG  (2020-05-28 10:43:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

site game in 2021. Is the YUM Center ready to serve as the neutral site?

Honestly, Bankers Life would be a good spot for it.
by revressbo  (2020-05-28 14:27:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Especially because (I believe) Crossroads isn't happening in 2021.

2 years left
by PAX1965  (2020-05-29 20:01:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2021 is the last year. Doubt it gets renewed.

I loathe KY because of that 70's neutral site BS. *
by discNDav  (2020-05-28 12:38:00)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why does this bother ND fans so much?
by civil_engr05  (2020-05-28 17:00:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've always wondered this because you are far from the first person on here that points to the non-neutral Freedom Hall games as reason to loathe/hate/dislike Kentucky. I understand that these games were about as far from "neutral" as you can get, but it's not like UK pulled a fast one on ND. I'm sure ND knew the situation they were signing up for... and honestly, ND football has the same advantages at it's "neutral" games.

A lot of people here dislike UK because of this, but it has always seemed strange to me. Maybe because i wasn't alive during those games to see what it was like.

Had you been a student then, you’d understand....
by Scoop80  (2020-05-28 19:17:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

4 straight losses in de facto road games in L’ville. IIRC, Irish had a shot at a # 1 ranking going into 3 of those games. Joe B Hall was a smug, arrogant di**wad who ran a dirty program. Robey was their Laimbeer equivalent & I didn’t care for Kyle Macy either.

I still wish 78 team could have played them for NC on an actual neutral court, and beating them the year after I graduated did my heart glad.

The first part was Rupp's fault
by El Kabong  (2020-05-28 17:27:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was too much of a coward to play at the Fieldhouse, and ND (as an independent) needed quality games. So Rupp demanded neutral-site games but wanted them all within the state of Kentucky.

The contract came up for renewal in Digger's early years, and in a fit of hubris, he chose to renew it. Bad decision.

Digger openly admitted “I got cocky” when I asked him...
by Scoop80  (2020-05-28 19:28:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about it when he addressed a class (Sociology of Sport) of mine fall ‘77. He agreed to extend contract after 12/73 win in ND’s best year and an off UK year.

There were a # of hoopsters (including Laimbeer, Flowers & CarpenterIIRC) in that class. I specifically recall Montana was in it. Not every day that you have 1 of the most famous heroes in NFL history & 1 of most infamous villains in NBA history in same class.

thanks to you and El K.. *
by civil_engr05  (2020-05-29 14:26:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I960: the first year with Freedom Hall as the neutral site.
by MPG  (2020-05-28 13:33:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish Hunter Thompson at written a "Fear and Loathing in Louisville" book on that series.

UK’s completely different lineup each year will...
by revressbo  (2020-05-28 10:42:34)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

make each game feel more fresh too!

22-23 we have a good idea on ND's starting line up
by Ajax  (2020-05-29 10:48:30)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Ryan
Wertz
Carmody
Sanders or JR
Taylor

UK's starting line up just finished their soph seasons in HS

It will be good prep for our ACC one-and-done factory
by LateNiteNaugles  (2020-05-29 01:27:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Duke