I loathe KY because of that 70's neutral site BS. *
by discNDav (2020-05-28 12:38:00)

In reply to: Glad to see that tradition will be honored with a neutral  posted by MPG

This user did not provide content for this post

Why does this bother ND fans so much?
by civil_engr05  (2020-05-28 17:00:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I've always wondered this because you are far from the first person on here that points to the non-neutral Freedom Hall games as reason to loathe/hate/dislike Kentucky. I understand that these games were about as far from "neutral" as you can get, but it's not like UK pulled a fast one on ND. I'm sure ND knew the situation they were signing up for... and honestly, ND football has the same advantages at it's "neutral" games.

A lot of people here dislike UK because of this, but it has always seemed strange to me. Maybe because i wasn't alive during those games to see what it was like.

Had you been a student then, you’d understand....
by Scoop80  (2020-05-28 19:17:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

4 straight losses in de facto road games in L’ville. IIRC, Irish had a shot at a # 1 ranking going into 3 of those games. Joe B Hall was a smug, arrogant di**wad who ran a dirty program. Robey was their Laimbeer equivalent & I didn’t care for Kyle Macy either.

I still wish 78 team could have played them for NC on an actual neutral court, and beating them the year after I graduated did my heart glad.

The first part was Rupp's fault
by El Kabong  (2020-05-28 17:27:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was too much of a coward to play at the Fieldhouse, and ND (as an independent) needed quality games. So Rupp demanded neutral-site games but wanted them all within the state of Kentucky.

The contract came up for renewal in Digger's early years, and in a fit of hubris, he chose to renew it. Bad decision.

Digger openly admitted “I got cocky” when I asked him...
by Scoop80  (2020-05-28 19:28:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

about it when he addressed a class (Sociology of Sport) of mine fall ‘77. He agreed to extend contract after 12/73 win in ND’s best year and an off UK year.

There were a # of hoopsters (including Laimbeer, Flowers & CarpenterIIRC) in that class. I specifically recall Montana was in it. Not every day that you have 1 of the most famous heroes in NFL history & 1 of most infamous villains in NBA history in same class.

thanks to you and El K.. *
by civil_engr05  (2020-05-29 14:26:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I960: the first year with Freedom Hall as the neutral site.
by MPG  (2020-05-28 13:33:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I wish Hunter Thompson at written a "Fear and Loathing in Louisville" book on that series.