I always wondered how Doh would have done?
by DomerJon (2020-07-13 12:20:34)

In reply to: 20 years since Doherty left ND. Great article from Noie (link)  posted by RIBS

Does anyone recall what type of recruiting he was doing at ND? going after high ranking targets? Obviously, it was only one year but I just can't remember.

Team would have crashed and burned under
by 84david  (2020-07-13 21:55:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his tuteleage

Pretty much
by Ty Webb  (2020-07-15 21:59:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was like a firecracker. Light it, it burns instantly and then poof......... it burns out.

I am not sure he ever had the temperament to last long at any major job and be successful.

And that was 20 years ago, when coaches could act like that
by Nathan  (2020-07-15 23:33:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Would never work with today’s kids. Didn’t work back then either, as his record shows.

I watched his SMU team play one time and was immediately struck by the players body language. Clearly a disconnect. Also met him once and didn’t think he was particularly nice.

I agree
by pmoose  (2020-07-14 08:49:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He was at ND about as long as was beneficial. His biggest positive was his energy. That energy injected some life into a program that had kind of fallen asleep under McLeod (this is not to blame McLeod - he had to navigate unique challenges bringing the program into the Big East). However, Doh had a manic personality and could fly off the rails in practice and be verbally (and from what I hear sometimes physically) abusive to players.

Digger could be verbally abusive as well
by tf86  (2020-07-30 14:51:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Although not physically abusive. Toward players and students. Fortunately, for some reason he liked me.

The understatement of the century. *
by CJC  (2020-08-05 13:55:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We know how he would've done. See his 3 years at UNC
by Freight Train  (2020-07-13 16:13:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not being able to win there in basketball is like not being able to win at ND in football. He just wasn't a good leader.

His recruiting was trending very well.
by ribs  (2020-07-13 12:52:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Chris Thomas was a McDonalds All-American, consensus top-25 recruit. Notre Dame's highest-ranked commitment since Phonz verballed in'87? Jordan Cornett was well-regarded. I believe Doherty was also credited for getting Ryan Humphrey to transfer from Oklahoma.

Probably would be a great assistant *
by DBCooper  (2020-07-13 14:57:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post