I liked the guy at Kansas
by irishrock (2020-08-06 12:10:11)

In reply to: I don't understand his final quote. Hasn't he basically  posted by Carlos Huerta

I worked in an investor center and took calls all day helping people with investments (first job out of college) It was purely random, but I took his call one time. Halfway through, I asked something like, "are you the basketball coach?" and he said yeah.

I remarked that I remember him at UNC and I did my free throws like he did...If you make the free throw, you keep your feet set and he laughed and said something like, "you've got to be the only basketball fan in the world that would remember that" I helped him with his investment stuff and then later he reaches out to me directly (he had taken down my name and #) for more assistance. As we wrapped up he asked if I was going up to the KU/Michigan State game (night game on a Saturday night) and I said I was planning on it. He tells me to swing by the basketball coaches tailgate "we'll have a number of recruits there and all of us basketball coaches will be there" Shoot, I get there and I felt like I was a prized recruit with him introducing me to Roy Williams and all the players (I had just graduated two years earlier)

Helluva nice guy...I still wonder what it was that held him back as I believe he should have been VERY successful as a head coach...maybe he was just meant to be an assistant.

Replies: