Final score: Siena 80, Florida State 63. FSU is 1-5.
by Kayo (2022-11-24 13:33:01)
Edited on 2022-11-24 13:47:38

I toggled to the game duringKansas-Wisconsin breaks. FSU isvery bad.

I caught some transfer conversation about Siena specifically and lower level programs in general. Transferring works both ways, transferring up like Marcus Hammond did and downshifting. Siena has players from Utah, North Carolina, and Iowa as well as lateral movers from San Jose State, Pepperdine, and Middle Tennessee. The former major conference players are not intimidated when they walk onto a major program court.

Siena and other programs are experienced, and their rosters include several players who were considered major conference talent when recruited from high school but didn't flourish at their original schools for a variety of reasons.

This is going to make for an interesting NCAA Tournament.

I wonder when L Hamilton last had a 1-5 college team...
by Scoop80  (2022-11-24 22:27:40)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Maybe Wizards were 1-5 in his sole NBA season. He's in his 21st year at FSU (longer than I realized). They had 2 losing seasons in his first 3 years, but none since. Plus, most any ACC program is going to be heavy on lesser opponents in its first 6 games. FSU has lost to the likes of Mercer, UCF, and now (badly) to Siena.

FSU & UL are going to visibly drag down the ACC SoS come March.

I hope the committee doesn’t use that as an excuse…
by pmoose  (2022-11-25 04:24:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

…come selection time. They certainly did last year, putting us as the 2nd place ACC team in the play-in game (our OOC performance certainly didn’t help). The ACC teams that got into the tourney last year performed very well - at least played to their seed. Va. Tech lost their opening game, but they were rightly an 11 seed losing to a 6 seed. ND, Miami, and UNC beat better seeds (Miami and UNC doing it multiple times). Duke could be argued to have not played to their seed, never having beat a better seed as they were a 2 seed, but lost to UNC in the Final Four. Hard to argue making the Final Four isn’t playing to your seed, even if you don’t face a better seed.

Luckily, so far ND hasn’t dug themselves a hole in OOC play. Our team now has a chance to make our OOC performance help our resume. A win today will definitely help. A loss wouldn’t be a killer, but we will need to win some tougher games coming up through December. Of the next 9 games, there is only 1 game agains a team that isn’t in the KenPom top 150. Including the game today, we have 4 games agains teams above 100 in KenPom. A winning record from now through end of year will be serviceable. 3 losses or fewer would put us in excellent position going into the bulk of conference play.

Siena finally recovering
by shea  (2022-11-24 20:22:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

from two disastrous coaching hires after Fran McCaffery went to Iowa. Go Saints!

Portland is leading UNC in the 2nd half *
by Chicos bail bonds  (2022-11-24 14:12:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Portland is a different transfer scenario
by Kayo  (2022-11-24 14:40:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The Pilots have eight transfers; but only one came from a major conference program (Georgia Tech), and that was with an in-between stop at UTEP.

The rest: three from Eastern Washington, one each from UNLV (after Tulane), Fordham, Snow College (after Utah Valley and BYU), and Milwaukee (after UW-Parkside).

No surprise... Head coach Shantay Legans and two of his assistants came from Eastern Washington.

ditto Sam Houston. Beat OU & Utah on the road. 6-0. *
by hibernianangst  (2022-11-24 15:13:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Looks like Sam Houston barely bothers to recruit HS players (link)
by Kayo  (2022-11-24 15:26:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Wow. Two high schoolers.
by Twinkie the Kid  (2022-11-24 21:12:53)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I know they're not getting kids from Duke and Kansas, but that's still pretty remarkable.

"Don't hate the player, hate the game". The New World Order. *
by hibernianangst  (2022-11-24 16:19:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

A great Reggie Jackson line
by Kayo  (2022-11-24 18:10:02)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Jackson was arguably the first truly big name free agent after the Messersmith decision. He eventually signed a five year, $3.5 million contract with the Yankees which was unheard of money at the time.

He was making the rounds, meeting with various teams after the 1976 season. At one point, he visited the Monday Night Football booth.

Howard Cosell asked Reggie what he had to say to fans who thought he was being greedy as the bidding for his services got richer. "Howard," Jackson said. "I didn't make the rules. I'm just taking advantage of them."