What evidence do you have to support this claim?
by Ty Webb (2022-11-27 13:17:00)
Edited on 2022-11-27 13:18:23

In reply to: I have no idea whether the terms would’ve been the same  posted by Garbageplate

What leads you to believe that we would have had deals on the table from other conferences?

You cite that ND is coveted but there is little chance the BIG would have cut a deal with us where we get access to their bowl games, etc. Same with the SEC.

Maybe the Pac 12 or Big 12 may have but then how are they any different than the ACC in terms of one of your other issues with the ACC - slop opponents?

Common sense
by Garbageplate  (2022-11-27 13:20:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I don’t think Swarbrick even bothered to pursue other deals. ACC offered and he signed us up in apparent perpetuity.

If you don’t think other conferences would’ve made ND a deal, then I don’t know what to tell you.

Critical thinking would be open
by nd67  (2022-11-27 17:29:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to other possibilities, don’t you
think?

Common sense would indicate
by Ty Webb  (2022-11-27 13:27:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

The SEC and BIG would laugh us out of the room if we proposed being able to take their bowl games in exchange for a few games a year. Those two entities are likely bigger than ND at this point. They don't need us. Sure they'd like to have us but they clearly don't need us to get big contracts, eye balls for their TV partners, etc.

So at the end of the day, we'd be left trying to cut deals with the Pac 12 and Big 12. Are either of those more palatable to you than the ACC? Maybe they would be but it seems to be both are basically the ACC in terms of quality of opponents, etc.

We already were playing 3-4 B10 games per year
by btd  (2022-11-30 18:26:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

So offering to do exactly the same in exchange for them giving away the store had 0.00% chance of working. We played Michigan, MsU and Purdue annually and often added NW or others for a 4th game.

Reality is we went to the ACC because they agreed to what others didn’t.

I reject the notion that we needed a full tie-in for bowls
by garbageplate  (2022-11-27 18:03:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Why couldn't we negotiate with a handful of minor bowls to serve as an option in years that we don't make the NY6 as an at-large team?

When the move was made, Swarbrick touted it as a way to preserve access to the lower-tier bowls. I don't think playing in those meaningless exhibitions should have been the driving force behind joining a conference that was never going to be a good fit and diminishing our football schedule in the process.

Do I think we were in a position to dictate terms to the SEC and the Big Ten on the same terms as the ACC deal? No, probably not, but we could've worked with another conference to lodge our other sports without demanding a tie-in for the lower bowls. That's just one example of another deal that we might've struck other than a 15 year lockup and 6 shitty games per year just to earn a Pinstripe Bowl berth.

Either way, we're stuck with the ACC deal and I think it sucks. Ten years later, we haven't formed any meaningful rivalries with any of those teams. We didn't fit in the conference back then and we don't fit now.

Bowls want "certainty" with regard to teams. That is why
by wpkirish  (2022-11-28 14:13:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

there are tie ins for the middle of the pack teams from Big Conferences. They went and signed those deals so that year after year they could get a team from one of the BIG 5 even though other teams might be better.

Given that fact I dont see them wanting to sign an agreement to take ND in "down" years and then scramble for someone to replace us when we get a better offer.

What minor bowls?
by Ty Webb  (2022-11-27 22:12:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You can reject whatever you want but you have to provide some sort of evidence to support your claims. Most of the bowls have conference tie ins. How many of those bowls would be willing to renegotiate with their conference partners to let us take a potential slot?

Look, I am no fan of Swarbrick and I do believe there may have been a better deal out there with the ACC (less games or maybe we got to pick 3 of the 5 teams annually so we wouldn't be stuck with slop games against Duke, BC, etc.) but you seem to be arguing for a path that might not be all that realistic in today's climate.

The reality is that we were going to have to align with one of the major conferences in some fashion. The SEC and BIG were not going to take us half ass........... they were gonna demand us all in or all out. So that leaves the ACC, Big 12 and Pac 12 for bowl options. They are all the same to me. Or as you suggest, somehow get lower bowls to renegotiate their conference contracts just to give us access while we park all our non-football sports in a some lower tiered conference.

Not sure- it's a hypothetical scenario
by garbageplate  (2022-11-28 11:45:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess we just disagree about the value of the ND brand. The Big Ten took us already for hockey and it was widely reported that they were waiting for ND before closing up shop on the latest round of realignment. If they're willing to take us as a full member, like every other conference, then I'd have to believe that we could negotiate an arrangement to house our other sports. There's value in that type of deal for the conference and it would work better for us. Ditto for the bowls.

Yes, they were waiting for us...........
by Ty Webb  (2022-11-28 15:05:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to be a full member, not a partial one.

The SEC and BIG would want us to negotiate new TV deals. But as a partial member, we'd likely keep the NBC deal. That's a non-starter for the BIG and SEC.

There is zero chance either would take us as a partial member.

Hockey only had 6 teams and is a sport where the dominant
by wpkirish  (2022-11-28 14:20:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

schools are not traditional Power 5 schools. It is a niche sport that caters to the Upper Midwest and NEw England. Trying to analogize what we could have done in Football and Basketball based upon what we were able to do in Hockey seems crazy.

Look at the past few Frozen Fours and you will find names like Denver Minnesota State, St Cloud State, Minn-Duluth, Quinnipiac and BU. The Big Name schools are come predominantly from the Big 10 with the exception of BC and Providence.

Don't forget the PAC 12 would triple and the Big 12 would
by SECTION12  (2022-11-27 16:21:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

double a 6 million travel budget for all sports.Truth be told only conferences east of the Missisippi had any shot at ND.The ACC and BIG would be the only suitors and the BIG has already played their hand leaving the ACC alone

This seems the commonsense argument to me *
by turtle17  (2022-11-27 14:15:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post