What minor bowls?
by Ty Webb (2022-11-27 22:12:32)

In reply to: I reject the notion that we needed a full tie-in for bowls  posted by garbageplate

You can reject whatever you want but you have to provide some sort of evidence to support your claims. Most of the bowls have conference tie ins. How many of those bowls would be willing to renegotiate with their conference partners to let us take a potential slot?

Look, I am no fan of Swarbrick and I do believe there may have been a better deal out there with the ACC (less games or maybe we got to pick 3 of the 5 teams annually so we wouldn't be stuck with slop games against Duke, BC, etc.) but you seem to be arguing for a path that might not be all that realistic in today's climate.

The reality is that we were going to have to align with one of the major conferences in some fashion. The SEC and BIG were not going to take us half ass........... they were gonna demand us all in or all out. So that leaves the ACC, Big 12 and Pac 12 for bowl options. They are all the same to me. Or as you suggest, somehow get lower bowls to renegotiate their conference contracts just to give us access while we park all our non-football sports in a some lower tiered conference.

Not sure- it's a hypothetical scenario
by garbageplate  (2022-11-28 11:45:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I guess we just disagree about the value of the ND brand. The Big Ten took us already for hockey and it was widely reported that they were waiting for ND before closing up shop on the latest round of realignment. If they're willing to take us as a full member, like every other conference, then I'd have to believe that we could negotiate an arrangement to house our other sports. There's value in that type of deal for the conference and it would work better for us. Ditto for the bowls.

Yes, they were waiting for us...........
by Ty Webb  (2022-11-28 15:05:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to be a full member, not a partial one.

The SEC and BIG would want us to negotiate new TV deals. But as a partial member, we'd likely keep the NBC deal. That's a non-starter for the BIG and SEC.

There is zero chance either would take us as a partial member.

Hockey only had 6 teams and is a sport where the dominant
by wpkirish  (2022-11-28 14:20:51)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

schools are not traditional Power 5 schools. It is a niche sport that caters to the Upper Midwest and NEw England. Trying to analogize what we could have done in Football and Basketball based upon what we were able to do in Hockey seems crazy.

Look at the past few Frozen Fours and you will find names like Denver Minnesota State, St Cloud State, Minn-Duluth, Quinnipiac and BU. The Big Name schools are come predominantly from the Big 10 with the exception of BC and Providence.