UK getting outbid for a star hoopster?
by Scoop80 (2023-05-09 20:49:17)

In reply to: Dickinson left UM for more NIL $. Only got “less than  posted by Homeboy73

Somewhere, Joe B. & Adolph weep together. Rumor had it that each recruit would get a thoroughbred in Joe B's day--Digger supposedly asked once whether a player who transferred had to give his horse back.

I would've thought that giving UK/Cal NIL would be like giving Superman brass knuckles. Something clearly went amiss here.

Supposedly UK doesn’t guarantee $$
by civil_engr05  (2023-05-10 19:44:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

During his recruitment, word came out that UK was unlikely to get him because they don’t promise a certain amount of NIL money. UK explains what is likely based on current players, national brands, etc, but that’s it.

NIL money is contracted, not opaque.
by NDWahoo  (2023-05-10 08:49:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

which means if the player doesn't work out, the bagmen can't just stop showing up.

Smart players would ask for guaranteed amounts rather than a higher unguaranteed amount (though it does seem ridiculous for an unproven HS player without any real brand to get NIL money anyway, a little less so for a proven player whose NIL may actually be useful in some respects).

I'm sure the shady bagmen in horse country are not thrilled to give up their leverage for continued influence over the player by having to sign a clear contract.

I'm changing my handle...
by El Kabong  (2023-05-10 09:58:45)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...to Shady Bagman in Horse Country.

Might be too long, though.

You're the king Jaffe, you make the rules
by NDWahoo  (2023-05-10 10:59:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

You could always just rename rock's house "horse country" then you can just be shady bagman.

There is precedent, what with the 4 horsemen and all.

Lefty's Rink can be renamed "Horse Hockey" *
by notra_dahm  (2023-05-14 06:56:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post