Besides Monty and Bill Hanzlik (for 1 year) have we had
by Raoul (2023-05-15 16:33:55)

In reply to: Obviously, coaching Bucks would be greatly preferable to...  posted by Scoop80

any other ND players become NBA HCs? Two at once would be a big deal and seems quite probably for next season.

I know Laimbeer was a long time and successful WNBA HC. Paxon was a GM. Garrity had other front office duties. Byron Spruell, though a FB not BB player, has a major NBA role.

P.S. Selfishly I want Williams with Pistons. And I'd probably take Quinn as well. Miami always overachieves. Pistons could get the 7'4" guy and be good sooner than most expect, especially with other high draft picks the last couple years.

Vince Boryla *
by TommyZ  (2023-05-15 17:36:12)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Charlie Wolf- ND football/basketball= NBA Royals & Pistons
by olson  (2023-05-15 21:00:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Boryla spent 2 yrs at ND transferred to Denver =coached the NY Knicks

Charlie Wolf spent 1 yr at ND (1946) playing football ('B' team) and varsity basketball (along with HS teammate George Ratterman who also played both sports)....Wolf then went into baseball- signing with the Cincinnati Reds MLB....later went into basketball coaching - HC of the Cincinnati Royals and then the Detroit Pistons

All so interesting to find out *
by Raoul  (2023-05-16 11:43:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

re: Boryla and your post on Rock's
by TommyZ  (2023-05-16 09:42:57)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Please do not go away. Your posts are absolute treasures and one of the great joys of reading the board.

Re: Boryla - unfortunately, I did not have an opportunity to meet him. I have met and spoken to many of his close friends in East Chicago, including some high school teammates. I was always given the impression that Vince liked Notre Dame and enjoyed his time at ND, but did not love ND like so many do.

I also believe that Vinny might have been ahead of his time when it comes to NIL - but I will save that for another day.

I recall Hanzlik's 1 season w/ Denver--he & I were...
by Scoop80  (2023-05-15 17:23:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

classmates. That season didn't turn out well, and he never got another head job. He was the only Domer NBA HC I could recall prior to Monty W.

Besides the fact that CQ is Spoelstra's interim fill-in, he's always at Spoelstra's side on the sidelines. I know that he had a fair amount of HC experience in NBA summer league games.

A colleague of mine who's a Milwaukee native is tired of constantly hearing about "Heat culture." He grudgingly acknowledges the organization's strengths, however, esp. w/ Heat winning 2 of last 3 playoff matchups w/ Bucks. CQ now has a total of 12 years in the organization. He might know the combination to Riley's wine cellar by now.

Dantley was interim head coach of the Nuggets
by Kayo  (2023-05-15 16:42:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...when George Karl was being treated for cancer.

I had wondered if someone like him had such a chance *
by Raoul  (2023-05-16 11:44:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post