VT's Sean Pedulla entered his name in the transfer portal
by garbageplate (2024-03-27 10:37:35)

I'd like to see us take a run at him if he hasn't already decided on a destination.

As it stands....
by supernd  (2024-03-27 18:33:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

We only have room for one transfer. Unless Sanders is leaving I expect it to be a big man.

I don't think that's true at all *
by garbageplate  (2024-03-27 18:51:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Had 11 on scholarship lost 2
by lucid  (2024-03-27 19:06:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Add 3. We’ve currently got 1 scholarship. So the op is correct.

Ah- got it *
by garbageplate  (2024-03-27 20:11:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Just a guess
by DBCooper  (2024-03-27 20:46:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the fact that Shrews seems to be involved with both guards and big men so far in the transfer portal I’m going to guess he is aware of another spot opening up

I would certainly assume so
by garbageplate  (2024-03-27 21:19:44)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But supernd was correct (and I was mistaken) that the spot isn't open yet.

Not to be NDHarvey, but let’s focus on Cohen from UMass.
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-27 17:06:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s the position of need.

Many of us can focus on more than one thing at a time
by garbageplate  (2024-03-27 17:12:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Including, I hope, the ND MBB staff.

Have a feeling he doesn't stay in ACC *
by fourputtmd  (2024-03-27 16:05:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Not a match
by bmoreirish  (2024-03-27 14:21:38)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Pedulla is an excellent, though slightly undersized, scoring point guard. We’ve already got one of those.

I would think our only transfer consideration would be for a big who could push Njie to the bench.

Would think he wants to go to a top level program.
by domer79dad09  (2024-03-27 13:12:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He could step in for Ryan at UNC for instance. Also I suspect he would command a decent NIL payout.

Yeah, if Shrewsberry has us already at a point where we
by Carlos Huerta  (2024-03-27 13:44:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

could pick up a guy who put up stats like that in a major conference I would be pleasantly surprized. More like pleasantly shocked.

Clearly Pedulla would be a nice addition, but team chemistry
by Irishdog80  (2024-03-27 12:16:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and long term development would likely take a hit. I like how the Irish competed over the last 10 games...the only misstep was against a veteran and very talented North Carolina team. The "culture" Shrewsberry is building feels right for the long haul. Pedulla would take away developmental minutes from Burton and especially imes even the incoming Certa.

Does the team need additional talent? Absolutely. I would prefer a polished big man that can work alongside Njie and Sundra and even Booth. A low post scoring threat is this teams biggest need.

I agree that a polished post player is the priority.
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-27 13:14:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Njie needs to take a major developmental leap this off season. I try to be optimistic but I don’t know if he can. We all know his shortcomings so I won’t list them. If Njie remains at his current skill level and we don’t get a post from the portal, I think we’ll struggle to crack the top half of the ACC. We really a player like Cohen from UMass.

Pedulla can take all the minutes from Imes
by garbageplate  (2024-03-27 12:29:39)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's time to win.

imes still has upside. The team will win with reliable post
by Irishdog80  (2024-03-27 13:12:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

play from a transfer...pick and roll, rebounding, distributing and cleaning up misses with garbage points.

Pedulla didn't score very much or play a lot of minutes as a freshman either. That said, I am not saying Imes upside is similar to Pedulla. I am saying Burton's upside is higher than Pedulla's. Let Burton be Burton and let's see how Imes progresses along with Shrewsberry, Certa, and even Davis. I liked the development of Davis as a Point Forward.

I agree that we need a post transfer
by garbageplate  (2024-03-27 13:59:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But we also need to upgrade the roster wherever we can, including shooting guard. Far from hindering Burton's development, I think Pedulla would help Burton by taking some of the ball handling pressure away and serving as another perimeter scorer.

If we can get a better player on the team, then we need to do it. Other teams have reshaped their roster overnight. I see no reason to eschew a top transfer in the name of development for younger players.

I understand. I am concerned about the message it would
by Irishdog80  (2024-03-27 14:18:24)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

send to future recruits and the current roster...especially Burton. I am not a fan of roster churn and love the idea of Shrewsberry building a true "culture" at Notre Dame that would return the Irish to the heydays of Phelps '70s and '80s teams and Brey's best years or even better. Other than the expected departures, it looks like everyone on the squad has bought in to what Shrewsberry is building.

Also have to believe Pedulla is looking to be the "man" on a contender, not a mentor for a rising star on a young team.

"I am not a fan of roster churn" is no longer realistic, IMO
by Lefty 04  (2024-03-27 15:13:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Loyalty and roster construction is a year-to-year exercise now. Both players and coaches need to always be looking because the other party certainly is.

It makes being a fan much less compelling, IMO, but they didn't ask me when they instituted free agency.

Fully agree though that there's virtually no way ND is what Pedulla is looking for.

There is normal "churn" and there is blow up the roster
by Irishdog80  (2024-03-27 15:35:36)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

and hope someone turns out to be a good fit "churn". This year's roster is tracking towards normal "churn"...my preference. We will see if it holds after next year. A player here or there is what I prefer. Also remember this is college sports with 4 years of eligibility despite the recent spate of nearly 6 year veterans on some teams due to Covid.

It's one thing to replace someone who is leaving
by El Kabong  (2024-03-27 15:18:23)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It's a very different thing to transfer over someone, especially someone who transferred in.

If you're in a position to attract limitless talent every year, knock yourself out. I don't think ND is in that area.

My off season hopes: 1) Get Burton’s 3 pt shooting to 40%.
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-27 13:19:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

2) Get Tae Davis to 30% 3 pt shooting AND develop a mid-range game to complement his ability to drive to the basket. 3) Add 15 to 20 ‘good’ pounds to Carrie Booth.
Those are my top three.

16 ppg, 4 rpg, 4 apg, 42% fgp … he’s a good player. *
by irishhawk49  (2024-03-27 11:55:21)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post