Jerry Reinsdorf Scorecard Update
by CJC (2019-02-04 10:34:42)
Edited on 2019-02-04 12:47:13

Prompted by noting in passing that the 100-loss White Sox have the 13th-best farm system among the 30 MLB teams according to Keith Law.

I don't follow this stuff closely; for all I know, Law could be completely off the mark.

But the far more likely explanation is that this is exactly what you should expect when you entrust your rebuild to the same two idiots who presided over a decade or more of mediocrity or worse.

Even the White Sox 2005 World Series champions included a starting lineup with four position players who weren't with the organization the previous season. I haven't done the research, but I'd imagine that's quite rare.

Talk about catching lightning in a bottle, although it certainly explains Kenny Williams' perpetual approach to "building" a winner by the baseball equivalent of keeping one and drawing four in a game of five-card draw.

Excluding the six NBA championships won on the back of Michael Jordan, whom Reinsdorf inherited when he bought the Bulls in 1985, here's what his teams have accomplished in 59 seasons (including the current NBA season):

White Sox, 37 seasons:

1 World Series championship (2005)
1 American League championship (2005)
5 Divisional titles (1983, 1993, 2000, 2005, 2008)
three post-season series victories -- thank God all three came in the same season.

Yes, boys and girls, in 37 seasons of Jerry Reinsdorf's stewardship, White Sox fans have experienced a post-season series victory in just one of those 37 seasons.

Bulls, 22 Jordan-less seasons:

1 conference finals appearance (2010-11)
2 division titles (2010-11; 2011-12)

Seriously, has there ever been a more incompetent owner over so many seasons in U.S. history?

Fifty-nine Jordan-less seasons -- one overall (World Series) championship.

Replies: