Zero, assuming MLB gets their way.
by NDBass (2024-03-23 16:21:36)
Edited on 2024-03-23 16:21:47

In reply to: what are the odds Ohtani is in some serious deep shit? *  posted by kdh325

It will have to be ironclad evidence Ohtani did something wrong for them to take action against him. If he didn't gamble but broke the law by paying the debts, there will likely be no punishment or a slap on the wrist.

If the FBI is investigating, I don't think MLB will be able
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-03-24 01:21:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

to brush it away so easily. Also, you could have a party turn state's evidence and sing like a canary.

If he isn't in prison, they will have no problem.
by NDBass  (2024-03-24 19:31:08)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"Penalties for players who place non-baseball bets with illegal bookmakers fall under the discretion of the commissioner; the last case was in 2015, when then-Miami Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart was fined an undisclosed amount."

If he's only guilty of sending money to an illegal gambling operation to pay off his interpreter's debt, I can't imagine MLB would do anything more than a fine. If he's in prison, which I think is highly unlikely, the decision will have been made for them.

this could be like Sosa and McGwire in 1998
by kdh325  (2024-03-23 22:56:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

One day they are messiahs and the next they're pariahs. Oh wow, that almost rhymes.

You’re a poet, and you didn’t even realize. *
by No Right Turn on Red  (2024-03-24 10:29:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was a poet and didn't know it? Hey ...wait a minute, *
by kdh325  (2024-03-24 17:43:20)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post