Is it time to admit that Alzolay is not a closer?
by ndroman21 (2024-04-20 22:39:24)
Edited on 2024-04-21 16:56:34

I’m not sure what other options there are, since Hoyer inexplicably made almost zero improvement to the bullpen, but I don’t think blowing a save a week is going to get it done.

I suppose so. He only had 3 BS all of last year. I'd give
by DomerJon  (2024-04-22 15:05:13)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

him a bit more leash than Hendricks at this point. Hendricks needs the fake season ending injury and just go away.

Craig Counsell agrees.
by hollownd  (2024-04-22 09:34:10)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It sounds like they are going to closer by committee for now.

Not convinced either way. More concerned re Hendricks.
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-21 15:54:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kyle has proven me wrong before. Hope he can turn it around. Haven’t watched enough to know what’s vexing him so far this year (velo, location, break, all?).

Today they started jumping his first pitch strikes...
by ndroman21  (2024-04-21 16:57:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

...and he was leaving them over the middle of the plate rather than around the edges.

I certainly am concerned there too, and wish more had been done with the entire pitching staff.

He’s throwing BP out there…
by wiNDycityfan  (2024-04-21 21:25:43)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

He’s always adjusted, to an extent, but his stuff is awful. I won’t go as far as pulling him from the rotation, but maybe skip a start to see if we can catch lightning in a bottle.

The Professor’s ride is running on empty.

Wish granted. Hendricks to IL due to “lower back”
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-23 17:41:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I think “lower back” is translated as: let’s sit a couple of starts to hit the reset button and see if that helps.

Lower back? I think they meant whiplash.
by CJC  (2024-04-23 18:03:59)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Sorry, I actually like Hendricks and hope he can figure things out.

I just can't resist a wide open net.

"Kyle, are you hurt?"
by Chuck84  (2024-04-24 15:52:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

"You look like you're hurt to me. Yeah, probably your lower back. Go get some rest ... until, like, August."

Take the empty netter.
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-24 09:45:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

It’s been a rough go for Hendricks. I haven’t watched much this year but when I have he doesn’t look like he’s having fun out there. Only time I’ve seen him more agitated was handing the ball over to Joe Maddon in Game 7.