pulling it out from the mothballs... a really worthless
by kdh325 (2024-04-24 08:42:50)

piece of trivia...he is the only player to play for an NCAA championship basketball team, and NBA championship team, and an ABA championship team (per Wikipedia among other sources)

Guess within.
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-04-25 09:23:28)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Bobby Jones.

it's a guy you probably never heard of, or long forgot.
by kdh325  (2024-04-25 10:25:16)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Cincinnati Bearcat All American Tom Thacker

do I get partial credit?
by MrE  (2024-04-25 15:26:27)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I had the right NCAA title game - Ohio State/UC in the early 1960s.

I know that ...
by Oh_Ten  (2024-04-24 17:11:54)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Rick Barry & Dr. J won NBA & ABA titles. But Barry went to Miami and Dr. J went to UMass -- so, I don't think they ever won NCAA titles.

Rance Mulliniks
by MrE  (2024-04-24 10:46:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

oops, wrong sport....serious guess - Jerry Lucas?

Looked him up on bbref
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-24 14:57:58)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I was predicting WAR of 3-5 over his career. Wrong. 17.0 Career OPS+ of 107 (average hitter = 100). Rance was better than I thought. And he was by far and away the best player in the history of the game named Rance.

He's very high on the list of professional athletes that
by voidoid  (2024-04-24 15:42:14)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

don't look like professional athletes. John Kruk, Bartolo Colon, John Daly, Phil Kessel, etc etc etc.

Another Jays' pitcher: Tom Henke. *
by SavageDragon  (2024-04-25 18:27:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Kruk is not an athlete. He's a ballplayer. *
by Slotts  (2024-04-25 10:54:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

That’s a fun list
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-24 20:45:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I’ll add Lenn Sakata and Vance Law. I guess with those two it’s about the big glasses.

Guess...
by Slotts  (2024-04-24 10:09:11)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

George McGinniss.

Guess
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-24 09:41:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

David Thompson. Rationale- started thinking through UCLA names, came up empty. So that leaves NC St which of course points to Thompson.

Interesting about Thompson
by saintapollonia  (2024-04-24 12:37:06)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

his teammate was Tim Stoddard. He's from East Chicago. He, obviously then, played on the team that beat UCLA (avenging loss) to break their chain. He'd been a state champion on the hoops team (loaded). He was part of that 84 Cubs team that broke my heart (screw you Garvey), actually then signed with the Padres for 85 in Free Agency

He and Kenny Lofton (also East Chicago) are the only two to play on World Series team and NCAA FF.

I'm drawing a blank though on the trivia answer.

he was a first team AA for the Cincinnati Bearcats
by kdh325  (2024-04-25 00:45:15)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

the one, the only... Tom Thacker. Who the hell?, you say. Well yeah, you're right. Not much of a pro career. In fact, he wouldn't even be a candidate for the basketball HoSM. But he's the answer.