Here is his biggest problem
by HTownND (2024-04-25 10:24:50)

In reply to: I don’t know  posted by bizdomer09

Everyone looks at the broken plays and runs and thinks Mahomes.

But when you dig in (as some evaluators have done, and not the talking heads looking for clicks at ESPN.com types), that's great he turned a "busted" play into an 8 yard first down run, but if he had made the reads correctly, the first one was a wide ass open TD and the second would have gotten them 25.

But all people see is the run. That's the difference, Mahomes wouldn't have run on that play, he would have nailed the first read for a TD in his sleep.

He is going to be a bust, and he's going to be a huge bust. We saw how he played without an elite OL (which he had the year he won the Heisman). The Bears OL doesn't suck, but he's not going to have that protection, and he sure as shit isn't going to outrun NFL DEs.

I feel bad for Bears fans. They get the #1 pick again, and given the hype machine, they aren't even allowed to think about drafting anyone else.

He's going to be good. He's no Justin Fields for sure.
by DomerJon  (2024-04-25 22:10:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Fields was run first, Williams is not.

I see that as the distinction between Fields and Mahomes
by bizdomer09  (2024-04-25 12:29:46)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

Both can scramble and do cool things and make spectacular plays (though Mahomes is on another level). But Mahomes starts by working from within a play and does that very well - including making throws to receivers before they break, seeing the field, immediately working progressions based on what the defense shows, and throwing to open windows in a zone.

Fields can’t do any of that, which is a problem because that’s the definition of quarterbacking. One exception for Fields in the proper flow of a play is hitting an out pattern with decent timing. Nothing in the middle of the field.

So that’s how I set the continuum between the two. As understand it, you’re saying you’re confident Williams is essentially Fields redux. I’m not sure and am very concerned, but am optimistic or at least hopeful he’ll be better. Time will tell.

I don’t care nearly as much as a lot of other people about Caleb being weird and not being captain rah-rah on the sidelines. That would be nice, but if he can’t get the on-field stuff above right, none of it matters.

He is going to 100% be Fields part two
by HTownND  (2024-04-25 12:37:48)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

But the talking heads who said all of these things about Trevor Lawrence are gobbling up air time and bullying the Bears into this pick.

The only reason to do it, is it resets the FA clock on paying a QB.

But Caleb Williams will be a bust in the NFL, and the Bears will be in this same position with his rookie deal that they are with Fields.

He sucks at making reads, and that's not going to get magically fixed overnight. People who should know, know. The guys who had the mental part down but didn't have the physical gifts have been calling it out for a while now. I know everyone will love to take a crap on Chase Daniel, but he's dead on with his analysis.

I think he nails it. Williams has the arm strength, accuracy and athleticism and a ton of talent. But his progressions/reads are not great. And that's why he will fail in the NFL

It is silly to speak in absolutes on this topic
by dwjm3  (2024-04-25 16:23:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

NFL scouts have a hell of time projecting college QBs to the NFL but someone you know exactly what the outcome will be. The wiser thing to say is I’m not sold on his talent and leave it at that.

Success for an NFL QB starts between the ears.
by voidoid  (2024-04-25 12:49:09)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

All of these guys at the top of the draft have the physical makeup, can "make all the throws," yadda yadda yadda.

But if a guy can't process, in real time and at NFL speed, everything that happens pre-snap and post-snap, they're simply not going to succeed. And if they can't do that in college...

I'm with you on Williams.

I've been impressed by Williams
by El capitan  (2024-04-25 12:32:05)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Reply to Post

I went into his various combine and draft interviews expecting an immature, entitled a-hole. He's seemed pretty humble (well, not about his playing ability) and likeable.