Some medical context
by AquinasDomer (2024-04-11 13:38:15)

In reply to: I think it is more restrictive because it does not adopt the  posted by wpkirish

Growing up going to Catholic school and going to Christian Medical Association stuff in med school you get the sense that all doctors performing abortions are ghouls, can't be trusted, and we need very strict laws to control them.

But I had an attending in residency whose husband was a widower. He was because his wife developed post partum psychosis and killed herself and all the kids after she delivered while he was deploy. She'd had psych issues with prior pregnancies, so it was a known risk (and a lot of dropped balls happened medically to not admit her). But there are some severe psychiatric conditions that are set off or exacerbated by pregnancy that can absolutely be threats to life.

I had a Catholic family who delivered a kid with trisomy 18. The life expectancy is a few months, but some do live past a year. The woman's pregnancy presented an elevated risk of morbidity/mortality, but not so much that a bad maternal outcome would be likely. She elected to deliver, but I could see making the decision to terminate as reasonable.

Another condition you can see is kids with single ventricle physiology. Basically the kid has one functional ventricle. They need at minimum three surgeries in childhood, and most require transplant in young adulthood. Most elect to pursue treatment, but it's an acceptable decision to defer treatment and provide compassionate care to the kid. Some pursue termination because they see that as sparing the suffering of having the kid go into cardiac arrest. That won't fly under laws that restrict medical decisionmaking.

There are a lot of subtle/nuanced medical decisionmaking that is hard to legislate. If you broaden laws enough for people to do what they think is reasonable, a lot of stuff you object to will sneak through.

If you have life of the mother only thresholds you actually get some dead mom, because some things are hypothetical risks to the life of the mother that might come to pass if a problem goes on too long. Heck pregnancy itself presents an elevated but small increased risk of death over the alternative.

Personally, my experience is that even very pro abortion OB's have some moral limits to what they'll do.

Replies: