House will vote on the foreign aid bills on Saturday (link)
by sprack (2024-04-17 16:29:16)
Edited on 2024-04-17 16:36:47

What was the reason for the holdup again? I won't complain since Mike Johnson seems to have found his spine after a long and exhaustive search.

The White House has already said it accepts the Ukraine aid bill as written.

Prognosis for UKR passing ? *
by Brahms  (2024-04-17 18:39:04)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Mike Gallagher is apparently going to hang around for voting
by G.K.Chesterton  (2024-04-18 00:43:07)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

before stepping out, so I assume that helps a little.

Side note: death threats are apparently one of the reasons he is stepping away.

It is easy to collapse civilization and hard to build
by czeche  (2024-04-18 13:49:50)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I think people often assume "the police can take care of death threats etc" but the police are only equipped to handle criminals at the extreme margins.

It's amazing to me how this kind of behavior has cropped up so quickly. Even if it's not true in this circumstance it's clearly much more common and accepted within some circles. I feel like this would be considered abhorrent just 20 years ago and today it barely captures attention.

All True. *
by Brahms  (2024-04-18 19:08:32)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

Do you honestly think the right wing would block a vote
by vermin05  (2024-04-17 20:19:42)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

For so long if it wasn’t going to pass?

Based on what was said
by JackMack  (2024-04-17 21:04:33)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

by several of the most conservative congressperson's earlier today, I would conclude that aid to Ukraine is, at best, low on their agenda, and some seem to oppose it altogether in any form. So there is some reason to honestly think that, depending on the form of the bill/bills that are introduced, there may be insufficient votes to pass aid to Ukraine.

They have a 2 vote majority
by sprack  (2024-04-18 08:15:19)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

A majority of Republicans are for it and the Democrats are practically unified.

It should pass easily. The Freedom Caucus nuts will put forth all kinds of ridiculous amendments but they’ll just serve to delay the inevitable.

I don't disagree
by JackMack  (2024-04-18 21:52:01)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

I think the Vermin's post was asking whether one could honestly believe that the far right would block a vote if they didn't believe it was actually going to pass anyway. I agree that it will probably pass anyway. But I don't think that's necessarily enough to stop the the far right Reps from trying to block it. Their public statements are clearly sufficient to lead one to honestly believe that they might well try to block it under these, and maybe any other, circumstances. Perhaps I'm just quibbling with Vermin's choice of words, but, as politicians have so wonderfully taught us, the precise words chosen mean a lot.

Dems helped with votes in the Rule committee
by AquinasDomer  (2024-04-19 07:53:29)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

It looks like this is going to work out after all.

Agreed.
by Kali4niaND  (2024-04-18 12:30:35)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

If it comes to a vote, it should pass overwhelmingly, with bipartisan support. And I would hope that if the Freedom caucus moves on Johnson, that the Democrats provide support to retain him as Speaker. One good turn deserves another.