I spent over 6 months researching DEI companies, projects,
by krudler (2024-01-04 10:39:00)
Edited on 2024-01-04 10:42:41

In reply to: Follow Mark CUban on Twitter and he posted about DEI  posted by wpkirish

implementations, methodologies, theories, and tangential industries. This was one of my main projects during that time. What my team concluded is that there are minimal companies or groups doing it well, and most companies were simply doing this to check the box because of the ridiculous ESG standards that were being pushed at the time. Feedback from EEs was that it generally was 1) not helpful 2) basic human decency you either have by the time you're employed or don't because you're a bad person who most likely would be fired for something else anyway and 3) demeaning or blaming. As time has passed and the initial exuberance over DEI has faded many companies are scaling back significantly or simply not taking on any services that cost additional money. The market is speaking and many of these companies that originally have gotten VC money are going belly up and in-house DEI is being de-emphasized. Equity as a concept is generally not congruent with running a functional meritocracy in business (to the extent businesses are even run as meritocracies anymore).

Much like some principles of communism, DEI sounds better than it actually is.

Interesting stuff.
by Brahms  (2024-01-04 18:31:41)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

My impressions largely fit yours, especially with regard to (2).

Would you provide some more information on context and methods?

I dont necessarily disagree with this my issues is that I
by wpkirish  (2024-01-04 11:05:22)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

still think we are dealing with the impact of slavery followed by Jim Crow and when I say Jim Crow I am not just referencing the South but include things like redlining, being, shut out of union jobs and being unable to get the same benefit of the GI Bill because schools would not take you.

Lots of people are given chances others never receive based upon the success of the ancestors. For some it was admission to a top school that led to better opportunities. For others it was connection to someone who could help with their first job. They may "earn" what they receive from that point forward but was it a meritocracy that lead them to that opportunity?

I have a senior in HS who was deferred from 3 schools last month. One of those schools the daughter of a co-worker of my wife with lower test scores and lower grades was not only admitted but received a $50,000 scholarship I suspect because they view her as more likely to attend and they are not certain given my son's background. She has two college educated parents including one who is a Judge, went to a top Jesuit HS and a great Catholic grade school. Does "merit" that more than the kids at North Lawndale College Prep who need to overcome much more outside of school to achieve their success?

I understand meritocracy in the workplace but even that contains a subjective component unless you think no one ever received a promotion sucking up to the boss or riding someone else's coattails.

Ha! That's why I caveated my point about businesses
by krudler  (2024-01-04 11:13:25)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

still even being meritocracies. I've seen plenty of unqualified people get promoted because they 1) kissed the right asses or 2) were friends with the right people. It's maddening. I don't disagree with your points either.

In my research one area where I did find that this whole "DEI" philosophy could add value is in health and savings areas. However, that's more socioeconomic-based rather than purely genetics. For example, there are certain companies that can track an employee base of a company, note where that company has at-risk EEs for health (health deserts, high risk for diabetes, etc.) and give the company tools to reach those EEs and give them options they didn't know they had for preventative medicine or second opinions. Same for savings/wealth - where EEs largely are not saving, or putting their pre-tax money in areas that are not nearly as tax-advantaged, there are tools available to help educate them and reallocate some of their savings to maximize how they save. I think those kinds of companies will have staying power if properly utilized.

Out of curiosity what do you do?
by wpkirish  (2024-01-04 20:00:31)     cannot delete  |  Edit  |  Return to Board  |  Ignore Poster   |   Highlight Poster  |   Cannot reply

As the parent of a HS senior heading off the college I am always wondering what his path will be and seems like yours is an interesting one.