Follow Mark CUban on Twitter and he posted about DEI
by wpkirish (2024-01-04 09:32:01)

In reply to: I suspect the real issue has been the conversion of  posted by Barrister

this morning. Admittedly his thread is directed toward business not academics but I think it is still applicable. I have linked the thread below it is not long but basically he views it as worthwhile and beneficial if done right but something that too often becomes a check the box activity that causes problems.

I will also say that in reading your response I was struck how different items become lumped together. I doubt it was intentioal but to me antiracism and DEI are different things. To the extent antiracism is at its core opposing racism do you have anissue with it? To the extent DEI is making an effort to hire qualified proffesors of different races or genders in an effort to promote an environment where students of differnet genders or colors can see themselves do you have an issue with that?

I think often times we discuss these items in a vacuum one way but when we start to drill down we find there are some items we support. The token check the box activism Cuban writes about is not beneficial but for the reasons he discusses really working on these topics can be.

Replies: