I dont necessarily disagree with this my issues is that I
by wpkirish (2024-01-04 11:05:22)

In reply to: I spent over 6 months researching DEI companies, projects,  posted by krudler

still think we are dealing with the impact of slavery followed by Jim Crow and when I say Jim Crow I am not just referencing the South but include things like redlining, being, shut out of union jobs and being unable to get the same benefit of the GI Bill because schools would not take you.

Lots of people are given chances others never receive based upon the success of the ancestors. For some it was admission to a top school that led to better opportunities. For others it was connection to someone who could help with their first job. They may "earn" what they receive from that point forward but was it a meritocracy that lead them to that opportunity?

I have a senior in HS who was deferred from 3 schools last month. One of those schools the daughter of a co-worker of my wife with lower test scores and lower grades was not only admitted but received a $50,000 scholarship I suspect because they view her as more likely to attend and they are not certain given my son's background. She has two college educated parents including one who is a Judge, went to a top Jesuit HS and a great Catholic grade school. Does "merit" that more than the kids at North Lawndale College Prep who need to overcome much more outside of school to achieve their success?

I understand meritocracy in the workplace but even that contains a subjective component unless you think no one ever received a promotion sucking up to the boss or riding someone else's coattails.

Replies: